Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which book?

Old 12-29-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Which book?

I am looking for a book that would teach me how to pick out a spot for deer hunting.

I know:

1. Deer look for food
2. Deer have 4 legs
3. Deer can smell

As you can tell, I obviously have no idea what to do. I hunt in the woods, not over a food plot, so any book that teaches one how to pick a spot in the woods should do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which book?

zak, go to amazon.com and do a search on deer hunting and you will be given hundreds of choices. You'll find some great ones there!
Old 12-29-2005, 01:45 PM

I will personally recemend "The deer hunters bible" and "mapping trophy bucks" you can find both of them pretty cheap at amazon.com
Old 12-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the book Giant Bucks, by Mark and Tery Drury and Drury Outdoors. Anyother by Tim Hooey (sp?) is called Strategic Whitetail Hunting. They are both great!
Old 12-29-2005, 04:45 PM

Mapping Trophy Bucks, author, Brad Herndon. For anyone wanting to learn to read topo maps and learn how deer move in relation to the terrain, this book is awesome!!
Old 12-29-2005, 07:46 PM

Is this book for you? Not trying to be a smart alec or anything I was just looking at your join date and # of posts?
Old 12-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

try to find any book you can find by greg miller, Some good reading there.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Wolfpack

Is this book for you? Not trying to be a smart alec or anything I was just looking at your join date and # of posts?
No offense taken.

Yes, this book is for me. After only seeing deer once while hunting (and that was at a friends place) I realized that I could use some help.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dr. Kroll's Producing and Harvesting Whitetailed Deer. Great book with sections on a deer's lifecycle, aging, reading maps, picking spots, food plots, and just about everything there is to do with deer hunting.

One thing to keep in mind is that it may also be the area you're hunting. I've hunted two places within 10 miles of each other and hardly saw any deer on one and loads on the other. So unless other people are seeing a lot of deer on that land and you aren't I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. It is always good to re-evaluate your strategy though.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:48 AM

I like reading anything from Chuck Adams. Also the Drury Bros., the Wensel Bros. and I have liked many articles(I haven't read his book) by Bobby Worthington. I also agree with Talondale, it could be your area? I didn't look to see if you showed what area you are from but if you have snow this winter do some scouting in it and backtrack the deer tracks to see where they are coming from. If no snow still do plenty of scouting this winter and spring looking for scrapes, beds, rub lines, deer runs etc. I hunted a 100acre piece of mine for 2 weeks last year because people at the church down the road kept seeing a big buck cross the road almost every night between 9-10pm. Well, I backtracked his steps from the field and found some trees shredded, one was a cedar about the size of my calf area on my leg and I set up where this rubline went into some really thick stuff. After 2 weeks and nothing I got mad and decided to press further in even if I spooked him out for good. Well I followed this rubline all the way out of the thicket across a weedy field to the road. Evidentally he is bedding down across another road(where I don't have permission), coming out after dark and just passing through this one piece of woods around 9pm. Bad thing is he is crossing one of my pieces to get to another woods/field of mine in order to get to my food plots but it is all done after 9pm.[:@] So save yourself some frustration and possible wasted time on stand and do PLENTY of SCOUTING. Good luck Good reading AND GOOD SCOUTING.

Quick Reply: Which book?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.