Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

female... new hunter

Old 11-14-2004, 07:52 PM

Default female... new hunter

hi im eighteen years old and have been with my boyfriend for three years... he has always been into hunting and that manly stuff... he let me let me shoot his 22-250 today and i was realy thrilled.. i loved it. he is going to take me hunting this year, buck season...im afraid im going to let him down. and im afraid the other guys are going to make me feel bad about it... im not necesarily the hunting-type.. by the way i look at least.. they think im too sassy to learn how to hunt.. im been thinking about it for a long time and ive learned alot, just from talking to my boyfriend about it constantly for the last three years-hes that type.. so basicaly... any advice for my first year?? im going to be shooting a 33 or 32 ...?
nae
Old 11-14-2004, 08:02 PM

Default RE: female... new hunter

First of all, welcome to hunting! I'm very impressed that you've gone at least this disatnce to try hunting. You will not disappoint anyone from this place. Advice? stay quiet, move fluidly and stealthily, invest some time watching hunting shows to prepare yourself for the basic tactics and don't be afraid to make mistakes. They happen to all of us. There is a big trial and error process here. And be honest about all your feelings in this. If you feel pressured into this, it won't be any fun. If you like it, don't be afraid to keep learning and developing as a woodswoman and huntress. I have a great wife who supports my efforts. Though she likes shooting, and fishing, she's been up - front about not wanting to hunt. I truly respect that. It's all about the fun. If you do take to this, I guarantee you that you and your boyfriend will be together for a long time. Let us know what happens!--Ed
Old 11-14-2004, 11:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Howdy!

Don't let those guys give you too much grief. (that's my semi-guilty chuckle, because I'm probably the world's worst) People around here are pretty good at giving advice, so ask anytime you have questions. Like eamont said, hunting is a trial and error process. One of the benefits of this site is that you can benefit from everybody else's trials and errors.

Good luck and good hunting.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:57 PM

Don't feel bad if you feel a little guilty when you kill a deer. I think that's natural. Don't back down to anyone and you should be ok.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just do your thing,Bucks in the woods I found over the years like women hunters. When my wife hunted,she did everything wrong and the buck still come to check her out.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome to hunting. Each animal is a trophy in its own right. I don't think you will let anyone down. I bet you will beat him. My sister-in-law killed a 140 class 11 pt this weekend. It was her first deer. Remember to roll with the punches. Everything will be fine.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Welcome. Its cool you are looking into the sport, but if the guys give you grife, its their problem. My wife loves the meat I bring home, she supports hunting, but I could never get her into the field. First she thinks its boaring, she also could never pull the triger on an animal. I dont fault her, its her personally choice, but she is an avid supporter of the sport, just doesnt participate. Nothing wrong with that. I have too daughers, one will be the type who loves hunting, the other could careless. Im not one to push it on them. They both understand and respect the sport. So I guess Im saying, if you get out and dont like it, you have only you to impress. You do what you are comfortable with, screw the razzing by the guys. I think you will like it though.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:40 AM

Well...my wife is a better shot than I am, she doesn't hunt though. On the subject of hunting, you won't believe how exciting it is. And every time you go out you learn or see something new. Don't judge success based on kills but on the experience, the rest will fall into place.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

When they tell you where to go ask the all important question "what's my wind like today?" Asking basic wind direction in the spot you'll be hunting will tell them you know a thing or too about hunting the mighty whitetail

Use a rest to shoot from. Grab a stick that has a "Y" in it. Use this. No matter how much you practice, the first time you have one in your sights it will be tough to hold steady shooting free hand (just holding the gun up). No shame in using a branch, limb, stump or anything else as a shooting rest.

Aim at a small point on the deer NOT at the deer itself.

ALWAYS assume there is a deer close by or one on it's way and keep your eyesand ears focused.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 11-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome
Looks like everyone covered the basics.
Like they all said, learn from your mistakes (if you make any ) and don't back down from anyone.

Quick Reply: female... new hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.