Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Putting on camo before or after. >

Putting on camo before or after.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Putting on camo before or after.

Old 11-12-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Putting on camo before or after.

I'd like to gather a variety of opinions on how the members prepare on the day of hunt. More precisely how they wash and dress before arriving at their hunting site.

I've been putting on my camo after arriving at my hunting site. However as the temps drop, I'm not sure if I want to stand on the frozen ground in my birthday suit putting on my gear. Also dressing takes more time it seems in the outdoors. If I shower with Scent Killer soap, put on clothes that were washed in regular detergent, drive 1/2 hour to my site, then put on my camo that I've carefully made sure doesn't carry any scent, am I working against myself? Haven't I picked up the scent of my car and clothes?

If I drive to the site in my gear then spray myself heavily with a scent neutralizer will that work?

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:01 PM

Default RE: Putting on camo before or after.

Here's my theory - I think that you're right on the "street clothes". I have a scentlok base slayers set, plus my camos washed in de-scenting detergent, then bagged in plastic. I also have a second set of clothes washed and de-scented and bagged. I wash with the soaps and unscented deodorant, then dress int the unscented streets, then when I get to the woods, I shuck the descented streets and don my outer camoflage stuff that was still sealed in the bags. I dress, put on rubber boots, then spritz with white lightning to cover the gun and backpack (which was washed in de-scented detergent and bagged) then hunt. I think this should eliminate most of the problem.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Putting on camo before or after.

I use to be the same dress in the field rubbermaid containers to and fro, unscented spray, do this and do that...then realized my efforts were somewhat fruitless as I would hop into my fresh unscented clothes after sitting on my butt driving for anywhere from 30 -90 minutes in my truck that has all the human smells possible in it. Ffurthermore I walk to my location, sit/walk in the clothes I have worked so hard to stay unscented..as soon as they are on they are tainted lets face it. Oh I believe in minimizing my impact but just ain't gung ho about it like I once was. Here is what I do now; I wash in unscented detergent and make sure to use products that don't use brightners, my hunting suits are stored in those same rubbermaid containers but they never leave the house(except on a week trip). I make sure my truck is fueled the night before, dress light for the drive and wear layers. Instead of worrying about my scent in ways to prevent the near impossible I know the area, the movements and hunt with the wind on my nose..I never comprimise a spot if the wind is marginal I do not hunt it. I have found no more lost opportunities or spooked deer since going back to the dark ages.

Basically be sensible, if it gives you confidence then by all means do what needs to be done.