Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Putting on a camo finish

Old 01-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Putting on a camo finish

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has ever done a home camo job on their shotgun and if so, can it be done tastefully. I've got a synthetic stock 870 Magnum that I've babied for the last couple years. So, my heart sank when I realized I didn't wipe her down with oil for a day after my last duck hunt. There was some very light rust that wiped off easily, but I can still tell where it was.I'mwanting a good lookingcamofinish, not just wrapping with camo tape or something like that. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 04:52 PM

Default RE: Putting on a camo finish

i would try the camo vinyl tapeing form bromwing it waterproof and long last or you could buy the camo kits that comes with the stock and foraamr in many kind of camo

Old 01-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

nathan-i've tried twice to post this, somaybe it will work this time.i have done over 100 guns in camo. i start by degreasing with alcohol, then priming the entire gun with derusto brown primer. i then paint bands of light green, dark green, tan, sometimes yellow, and leave a band of primer up the whole gun. it should look like a stripped pole. i then lay a pattern maker-i use the plastic fern or rose leaf piece that comes from flower arrangements- on the part of the gun i am working on. you can use one or get several and arrange them all the way down the gun. i then overspray with flat black paint. this makes a leaf and stem pattern of the underlayer and a background of black. i use only derusto paints and have never had one returned as failed. my turkey guns have been painted for over 10 years and still look good. i get $35 for a paint job and have had no complaints. guys tell me they are hard to find if you lay them down to go get your turkey! just take your time and work in small places and you should do well. if you can, post a picture afterward. i'm at work, so can't get you one of my shotguns. good luck-bill
Old 01-25-2006, 03:52 PM

I use cloth tape. I've found that the vinyl type kits are too shiny for my taste.

I just start laying the tape in strips, keeping it flat and smooth. Use an x-acto knife to clean up the edges.

I've never tried paint, but i will on my new .223 NEF
Old 01-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

Hey thanks for the suggestions. I think i will definitely paint, (I am a painter by trade, so its only fitting huh?). I just don't see wrapping over the ventilated rib on my barrel or on the pump with any kind of tape working out how I want it. -Nathan