Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting deer with dogs

Old 12-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hunting deer with dogs

I like to hunt both with dogs and still hunt. Hearing the beagles comming down through the holla will make the hair stand up on the back of you neck. Lots of fun if you have a big area to run. Although you have to have lots of help to catch the dogs and make stands. We better enjoy it while we can.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:13 PM

it was legal in California 3 years ago when I left there, one dog per hunter. Its not legal in Texas where I live now. I still hunt, hate tree stands and box stands just waiting for something to come by, rather go after it. Miss hunting my dog for deer and he misses it to knows where i'm going and he ain't to happy about it
Old 12-10-2004, 01:18 PM

i have been dog hunting for two years now and it is the biggest thrill when you hear the dogs coming your way and the deer pops out. now that will get your adrenaline going. i live in north carolina and it is allowe every where here.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:57 PM

I have always hunted with dogs. No other form of hunting is quite as exciting to hear the dogs going nuts and a trot coming your way. I think its harder for people who hunt in residential areas to find it "ethical." You have to understand the land other people hunt. When we go away for the week in ontario for deer camp, its all bush country, no fields, farms etcs. Your very lucky if you even get shooting at a deer. Without dogs, you would never see a deer, and even with dogs only like 4/13 guys end up seeing one. I watch the shows and hear you people talk about being able to pick and chose over different bucks, and watching the does etc hell I would be so happy just to see 2 does in a season of hunting, let alone get shooting. So before you judge other peoples means of hunting, you have to realize that some areas dont have the populations of deer that some of you guys have, and where I hunt is a totally different situation than most hunters here..
Old 12-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not legal in any of the states that I hunt in.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:50 AM

Sad to say that in NH dogs running deer are shot and left in the woods. I would never but know guys that have. listen dirty dog dont mess with my deer
Old 12-11-2004, 10:43 AM

In the SC Lowcountry it is legal and I've done it since I could walk it seems. There's nothing like the thrill of hearing a good pack of dogs hammering on one headed your way. I enjoy still hunting sometimes, but it can't even begin to compare to the exitement of hearing a pack of dogs run. If I'm sitting in a treestand and hear dogs coming you can bet I'll keep my eyes and ears open for a possible shot, but mostly it's about the chase. I also enjoy running my dogs in fox pens too, sometimes that can be just as fun but without the kill.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:26 PM

I grew up where is was illegal to run deer with dogs and couldnt even comprehend doing it until i was stationed in Georgia and tried it on a management hunt in the range areas on base. Never once in eight years did I ever see a dog running within 200 yards of a deer although many armadillos got the bejesus scared out of them by some foolish beagles and walker hounds.

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I am curious why those who advocate this type enjoy it. I don't really see it as hunting but more enjoying watching your dogs work. I can kinda understand that. As I go bird hunting with friends who enjoy working thier dogs more than the actual kill. But if I got a big buck using dogs, it would really take the spunk out of kill for me. Be hard for me to tell the story with any enthusism.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:28 PM

Illegal in WV. It's also illegal to bait a bear.[:'(]

Steve
Old 12-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its illegal in Pa. to hunt deer with dogs. I is not illegal to shoot dogs in pursuit of deer.

Quick Reply: hunting deer with dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.