Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting deer with dogs

Old 11-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: hunting deer with dogs

According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Outdoor Annual p.54:

Dogs may not be used to hunt deer in this state.
It is unlawful to use dogs to trail a wounded deer in these counties: Angelina, Hardin, Harris, Harrison, Houston, Hunt, Jasper, Jefferson, Liberty, Montgomery, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Panola, Polk, Rusk, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, Shelby, Trinity, Tyler, Walker, and Washington counties.
Not more than two dogs may be used ot trail a wounded deer in counties not listed on p. 54.
A "wounded deer" is a deer leaving a blood trail.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:56 PM

deerdogva, We can hunt with dogs in certain counties of Georgia and South Carolina. It is also legal (or was) in parts of Louisiana. I know NC and Florida allow it as well. It has become my favorite way to hunt, because I love the excitement of hearing the dogs run.
What breeds do you use mainly? We mainly see Walkers, but English, Blueticks, and Black and Tans all have their fans. Not many Redbones or Plotts, although I have seen one or two. We also have three guys in my club who use Beagles. They dont push the deer quite as fast, but they still get the job done. I have also seen Airedales and pointers used, but not often. I own a B&T that loved to run deer so much he couldn't be trained to be a 'coon dog, but I got him and he has made a good deer dog!
Old 11-21-2004, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Legal in MS, but not as many people hunt this way as they used to. Too much conflict with dogs going onto other people's property.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not legal here in michigan, thankfully!!!! I dont see the need to run deer with dogs, i do NOT mean any offense but they do not tree and deer are not built to run long distances. I do think coon hunting with dogs is fun and I would like to try it for bear/cougar.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:03 AM

I live in SE VA and love to here the dogs run. I love sitting in a tree with my smokepole, but hereing those dogs open up on a cold morning is an experience you won't soon forget. I know everyone doesn't agree with it, but it is a time honored tradition here. The only problem we ever have wihth it is when the city slickers move out here to the country and try to fight it.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:38 AM
bigcountry

I am curious why those who advocate this type enjoy it. I don't really see it as hunting but more enjoying watching your dogs work. I can kinda understand that. As I go bird hunting with friends who enjoy working thier dogs more than the actual kill. But if I got a big buck using dogs, it would really take the spunk out of kill for me. Be hard for me to tell the story with any enthusism.

Old 11-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive never done it and don't know anyone who has (I grew up in WV). It would definately be different and I could see how it may be fun, especially in brushy cover ( I thought that you guys east of the blue ridge had a lot of that type cover). It would be like rabbit hunting except for bigger rabbits and I'm sure it would be challenging as far as making the shot. Sounds like a good group activity.
HB
Old 11-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's only leagel in certain counties in NC.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:46 PM

The lower part of SC has some areas that allow dogs.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:47 PM

Bigcountry, The thrill of hearing a pack of dogs on a hot track is what I like best. Sure, I like seeing a big buck as much as the next guy, but just seeing my dog running any deer is a pleasure for me. I coon hunt for the same reason. Killing a 10-15 pound ringtail isn't what turns me on, I just like the excitement of the chase and the anticipation of going to the tree to see what the dogs treed. However, it takes all kinds to make the world go round. I know plenty of hunters who would never consider any type of deer hunting besides sitting in a tree overlooking a corn field or a power line.

Quick Reply: hunting deer with dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.