Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Don't know much about matching ammo to my gun for best results... Help? >

Don't know much about matching ammo to my gun for best results... Help?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Don't know much about matching ammo to my gun for best results... Help?

Old 11-09-2004, 02:25 PM

Default Don't know much about matching ammo to my gun for best results... Help?

I hunt some steep slopes and hollers where I live so I don't usually have long shots to worry about. I hunt with a 30-06 with 180 grain bullets, and a .243 with 100 grain bullets. I am taking a trip down to the piedmont area to hunt Thanksgiving week. It will be alot flatter and a longer shot may be necessary. Any advice one which gun to take and what bullet to use. Those are the bullets I have always shot but never really known if less grains would equal more accuracy. Any advice or should I just shoot both guns at a longer range and see which results I like better? Thanks as always!
Old 11-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Don't know much about matching ammo to my gun for best results... Help?

I'd take the 30-06 if I was you, don't really care for the .243
Old 11-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Don't know much about matching ammo to my gun for best results... Help?

Id go with the 30-06. I hunt West Texas and the average shot is about 175 yards. I personally like a lighter bullet. I prefer my hand loads with 165grain for one 30-06, but have just as much luck with factory 150grain rem. corlocks in another 30-06. 243 will shoot flater, but doesnt carry much energy. I have taken whitetail over 200 yards with a 243 but would not use it over a 30-06.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

All things being equal in shooting ability the 06 would also get my vote. In the 06' 150-180 gr will work on deer, bullet style is really rifle and hunter preference. The only way is sit down figure out what your hunting needs are, compare bullets, short list and try them. If you want one load for this season you could take the middle ground and look for a 165 gr bullet.

For longer distance shots I prefer a tapered heel (boattail design), my personal choice is Nosler Ballistic Tips. However if you should run into real close range at high velocity it can cause some additional damage/meat loss. If you are planning on switching back to the 180 gr to hunt around home and antcipate shoots of 100 plus on your trip then you could pick a box of these to try.

Sorry literally tons to choose from so do a little research and then pick a few style to see what your rifle like to shoot!