Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got my big swamp buck....

Old 11-08-2004, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default Got my big swamp buck....

....unfortuneatley he was already dead.

Man, what a bummer. I made a post last season about a buck I had hunted for 2 years. I had an opportunity to shoot him and get a good look at him last year. A combination of buck fever, fogged up scope and thick brush caused me to not take the shot and he got away.

The swamp was much drier this year and so one day another guy in camp followed a trail off the main road in the swamp towards where my stand was. 20 yds into the swamp off the main road he found the carcass. He came walking out of the bush with the full rack in hand and my heart sank. I knew right away it was the deer I was looking at last year. We figured he was hit by a car and if they stopped to look they wouldn't have found him last year because the water was much higher.

Now I though he was possibly a 9 pointer because i couldn't see one brow tine. it turns out his right brow tine was busted off in early in velvet and he had grown a much shorter 2 inch brow tine that was hard to see. He also ended up having a nice 5 inch kicker out his right main beam. I didn't see this one from my angle last year.

Total was 11 points and he grossed 143 7/8.

I am cleaning up the rack and getting it mounted. I'll post pics as soon as the film comes back.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:17 AM

Default RE: Got my big swamp buck....

That sucks when something like that happens. At least you found the rack and can mount it.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bummer
Old 11-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that, but at least you found the carcass and know what happened to him, rather than just never seeing him again and wondering from now on.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:17 PM

Where the pics man?
Old 11-08-2004, 06:41 PM

man I know how you feel. that happened to me last year with two bucks. the first one was hit before the season even started. we were getting back from coon hunting and there he was at the end of the my driveway. the second one I was making a drive to my other hunting partners and i was walking down the trail when I saw a really nice buck lying dead in my path. but this buck wasn't hit by a car, he was shot once in the neck, once on his back and he had an arrow in his hind leg. I figured he scored 140.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

film in to be processed this week. Post pics as soon as I get them. It's a nice looking rack. Should look good in some sort of mount.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bummer is right....we still want to see the pic though!
Old 11-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Bummer man
Old 11-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

that blows

Quick Reply: Got my big swamp buck....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.