HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Got my big swamp buck....
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2004, 09:04 AM
OntElk
Typical Buck

Default Got my big swamp buck....

....unfortuneatley he was already dead.

Man, what a bummer. I made a post last season about a buck I had hunted for 2 years. I had an opportunity to shoot him and get a good look at him last year. A combination of buck fever, fogged up scope and thick brush caused me to not take the shot and he got away.

The swamp was much drier this year and so one day another guy in camp followed a trail off the main road in the swamp towards where my stand was. 20 yds into the swamp off the main road he found the carcass. He came walking out of the bush with the full rack in hand and my heart sank. I knew right away it was the deer I was looking at last year. We figured he was hit by a car and if they stopped to look they wouldn't have found him last year because the water was much higher.

Now I though he was possibly a 9 pointer because i couldn't see one brow tine. it turns out his right brow tine was busted off in early in velvet and he had grown a much shorter 2 inch brow tine that was hard to see. He also ended up having a nice 5 inch kicker out his right main beam. I didn't see this one from my angle last year.

Total was 11 points and he grossed 143 7/8.

I am cleaning up the rack and getting it mounted. I'll post pics as soon as the film comes back.