Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you think I will find her?

Old 11-03-2004, 07:24 PM

Default Do you think I will find her?

Shot and hit a doe broadside at about 60yds with 100gr powder, 240gr bullet. Deer fell like a rock and kicked and rolled around on her back with head in the air on the ground for about 10 minutes and stopped. After the shot I ran a swab down the barrel and it got stuck in there. So as I thought the deer was all but dead I proceded to try and remove the swab for almost of 30 minutes[:@].

I am in the process of reloading and see the deer stumble up and walk about 10 yds and fall down again. I thought to myself the deer must not be hit that well and I will give it time to expire before I move in. After 1hr and fiften minutes (getting dark with heavy rain forecast) I was getting ready to move in when I see the deer is slowly walking and jumps in and crosses the creek. I now wait another 30 minutes (now dark) and go to where she was standing when I shot.

The leaves are all kicked up with about 2 drops of blood. There is a very small chunk of meat and a few peices of gray (not white) hair. There is also a peice of bone chip the size of my small finger nail. I tracked the leaves to where she laid down the second time and find a few drops of clear fluid. I follow tracks accross the creek and up the bank 30 yds and she takes off running again like nothing is wrong. I follow kicked up leaves to where she had laid down and find again 2 drops of blood and even more clear fluid drops. I now leave and head home to look for her on Thursday.

Do you think that I must have just nicked the backbone and the clear fluid is from here backbone?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:32 PM

Default RE: Do you think I will find her?

What color was the blood, red or kind of pinkish?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

sounds like a probable spine graze of some sort.....dont know if they can shake that off or not.....swelling and such may leave it paralyzed soon......just my thinking.....dont know for sure......depends where and what you hit....but collapsing at the shot and laying there kicking sounds like a spine hit/graze/bullet shocked the spine or something to that extent.....dont want to worry you or anything.....stuff happens.....keep looking..she may be hit pretty good.....and you may have a chance to find her since you dont know where you hit......stick with it.......good luck.....keep us posted....i dont know much about tracking deer or diffrent hits or anything.....so im not an expert at all.....just what i think from what ive read here and there along the way........good luck
Old 11-03-2004, 09:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Canadian Bush Wacker

It was red mixed with the clear fluid
Old 11-04-2004, 12:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Strange ,especially since she laid there so long. DON't ever do this !!!!!!!! But in my younger years and when healthy and crazy in that situation when the swab got stuck and the deer was getting up. I would of run to it and stabbed it with my knife in the juggler, Did it before ,but dont recommend it. Them hooves can hurt.
Question ,why did you have to swab after 1 shot????
Old 11-04-2004, 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: cardeer
Question ,why did you have to swab after 1 shot????
I thought that you should when shooting sabots? I also thought the deer was without a doubt dead. In the future I will just get another bullet in as soon as possable.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Shoot first, swab later. hope you find her.You might want to check your sights or scope as well.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: yjbates

ORIGINAL: Canadian Bush Wacker

It was red mixed with the clear fluid
It sounds like you grazed the spine. I bet she went somewhere and laid. She will be paralized form that spot back. She could still be alive, probably not though. I bet she has bleed out. Finding her might be problems, especially if she was pushed far.

Good luck on finding her.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck finding her.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hope you find her, agree with the other members on the hit area.

Quick Reply: Do you think I will find her?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.