Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How high is your treestand?

Old 10-27-2004, 07:58 PM

Default How high is your treestand?

First year deer hunter. I've been told that 15 feet is the highest I need to go with my climber. I'm interested to know what the height the members on this forum use on their climber or ladder stand use.
Is higher better?
Old 10-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How high is your treestand?

We have a few shooting houses that are on the ground. Most of our stands are ladder stands that are 16 feet. If I get in a climber I get as high as I can and can still see good. I've gone up to 50 feet before in pines that didn't have limbs lower down for cover.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

My ladder stands are 16 ft and I think thats plenty! With my climber I go to where I can see the best. I don't have a set hight I go to....
Old 10-27-2004, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well i always try to climb at least 20-25ft I found out long ago that your sent is lease likely to be pick up if you can get a little higher. [&:] Movement is also something to consider. You can get away most of the time with more movement say 20-25ft rather than 15ft deer pick up on movement very well.(IMO)
Old 10-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

Actually, I think 12 feet is all you need, but I go about 15 feet (wondering how all these guys know they are going 16 feet instead of 15 feet. I am a fairly good judge of distance, but not that good). Going much higher than 15 may work for some, but I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages - especially if you are bow hunting. Just imagine yourself 25-30 feet up, bearing down on your prize buck. You're shooting the animal through his back, practically. In my humble opinion, 15 feet is the ticket. You get all of the best of all worlds, with virtually none of the disadvantages. You have to sit still, of course, but you should be doing that anyway.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:19 PM

10 feet
Old 10-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have a 20' pull rope, when its pickin up my stuff i know i'm high enough, btw i used to only climb 10-15 feet when i started moving up i started seeing more deer, i was advised to do this from the owner of summit stands many moons ago, and i have not regreted it since,,,,,

btw welcome to the boards
Old 10-29-2004, 01:09 AM
Typical Buck

Mine hasn't been off the garage floor for a month.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:06 AM

After a year of hunting a SO CALLED 16 foot ladder stand. I came to find out they call 16 foot to the shooting rail a 16 footer. So I go after a TRUE 16 footer and find the StrongBuilt Comfort Hunter which is said to have 4-4' ladder sections in the BPS catalog. So I go get one, find out it only has 3-4' sections. I find out it is a mis-print, but they will honor it if you throw a fuss. So now I have a TRUE 16 foot to the platform stand.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to hunt at nosebleed height.... ill go as high as 35 to 40 feet sometimes with my climber..[:-]

Quick Reply: How high is your treestand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.