Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How high is your treestand?

Old 10-29-2004, 10:17 AM

Default RE: How high is your treestand?

12-15 gun hunting 18-22 bow hunting
Old 10-29-2004, 11:21 AM

I used to hunt with a stationary stand with 4--4 foot sections of steps. I saw deer but nothing, and I mean nothing compared to the tree lounge I use now and go 25 ft plus. You get out of the scent line of the deer plus if you're hunting an area that is hard hunted, the deer are very used to "looking up", and the higher height totally eliminates that problem. I see many more deer hunting from the higher heights.....
Old 10-29-2004, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

In my neck of the woods I cannot use a tree stand. to many short mesquites and cedar trees. I have to use a quad pod. Talked to the ag teacher up here at school and he let one of his students build me a little 6 foot quad pod stand. Made it a whole lot cheaper. They used some metal they had left over from another project and he built it for free. It was pretty cool because it was very rewarding to the student, he thought it would not work. After he finished and we put it all together, well it was great to see the expression on his face, that since of accomplishment kind of like when you take a good buck or your first one for that matter. Now the kid comes in and asks me everyday if I have anything else I need him to build, being in Texas I think I am going to get him to build me a Feeder. Just thought I would share that with some of you might be worth checking into with your local school ag department could save you some bucks for the bucks.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:55 PM

I used to hunt 12-16 feet for the past many years but from advice given to me from a more experienced bowhunter this year I've hung stands 25-30 feet. I don't have a climber but I'm looking to purchase one before next season. This higher height has resulted in seeing a lot more deer and a lot more deer within bow range. I wouldn't hunt any lower than 25 feet unless it's impossible due to tree size, my opinion.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:38 PM

I have learned that stand placement is more important to me than height. I am usually anywhere from 10 to 15 feet according to the terrain.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine are between 15 and 20 feet depending on the terrain and available trees to choose from.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends my ladder stands are 15 feet so not much choice there. With my climbers I usually go to 25'. I have a pull up rope that is 25'. When it gets tight I know I'm at 25'.I'm not overly crazy about heights.Once I'm up there for a few minutes I'm fine with it.If I use the same tree the next time I climb I always go higher then the time before.There are allot of advantages to hunting higher. Your scent for one. Movement plus it give you a much better view. I've noticed since I started going higher I see more deer and have had much better success.I climb Pine trees down in Georgia. I trust my stands it's the tree that concern me.I've seen prefectly heathly pines snap off.Why? I don't know. My main fear is making the tree top heavy and something has to give.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 10-30-2004, 08:37 PM

If im using a fixed position stand i usually make sure im at least 15 feet, but cover is more important that height. i usually set the stand where the branches are thicker. when bowhunting i dont like being so high that your almost shooting straight down. When using my climber i like to get at least 20 feet and 25 if no limbs are in the way. My preffered height is probably 20 feet. When rifle hunting i like to get really high up in my climber where i can see a long way. here in eastern Ky the moutains dont let you see very far, but if you can high enough your can watch a holler and 2 points at the same time. I still usually never climb over 35 feet though.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:08 AM

15-20 feet
Old 11-01-2004, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Well, my permanent stand started at 18, but the tree has grown about 4 inches since then. So, 18'-4"!

Quick Reply: How high is your treestand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.