Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How long does venison last?

Old 10-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default How long does venison last?

Hey everyone. I was wondering how long venison lasts in the freezer? I am mainly curious because I hope to get two or three deer this season and I know that it will take me longer than 6 months to finish it all, and 6 months is my cookbook’s recommendation.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:43 AM

Default RE: How long does venison last?

Well - I can't say for sure what the maximum time is, but I have eaten venison that had been frozen for a year and a half and it was just fine.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

In a regular freezer 6 to 8 months, in a deep freezer 12 to 18 months. Thats what my father inlaw told me I trust him since hes been in the meat business for 30 years or better.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had it 2 years already,but I suggest vacumm packing it then freeze it. Really makes a nice job,better stacking and last longer
Old 10-26-2004, 03:49 AM
Typical Buck

If you vacuum psck you can go out for years. The best info I have seen is with the Black and Decker Vacuum packer. they give some really long time foir the deep freeze. By the way deep frozen meat dosn't go bad like make you sick it gets dried up, may get junky flavor and isn't very platable.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:11 AM

As recommended get yourself a vacum packer, it will easily keep your venison good for a year or longer. My wife purchased one for me last year and I packed away my venison using it and it worked great, especially compared to trying to bag or wrapping the meat with freezer wraps, etc.

The meat that's left still looks great when pulled out of the vacum packs after 11 months in the freezer. I'm quite impressed with the results.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

As recommended get yourself a vacum packer
It all in how y0u wrap it, and vaccum is the best way to get the most freshness out of your game.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

12 mos min for straight meat cuts. Sausage or mixed personally a year max, when pork is used!

Mine has never last more than a year any way but I have yet to have a problem with butcher papaer wrapped game cuts. I agree it is how you wrap it! I believe in wrapping in saran to remove any air contact with the meat & then wrapping tightly in butcher paper. I also suggest you space it in your freezer to ensure a even and thorough freeze before stacking neatly, once it is frozen it can be sorted and stacked.

For sausage where pork or beef is used I totally agree in the VAC PAC method!
Old 10-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Spike

I only keep it for one year. That's just my opionion. What I will do is if I have any left in the freezer from the year before I will add to my scraps from this year to make sausage or meat sticks. That way nothing goes to waste. I do not beleive in throwing good game away. I have had it after one one year in the freezer and I saw no big differance as long it was packaged properly. Happy Hunting!
Old 10-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just cooked up some venison steaks that had been in my freezer for nearly a year and were not wrapped that great. I cut off the slight freezer burn, threw them on the grill and they tasted like they were fresh out of the woods. I had some roasts left over as well and made 4 pounds of jerky which turned out great.

Quick Reply: How long does venison last?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.