Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Smokepole buck (pic)

Old 10-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Smokepole buck (pic)

Here's a pic of the buck I got on Friday evening at about 5:50 PM. He's the biggest six-point buck I ever saw. He should have been an 8, but all he had was big, forked main beams and brow tines. It was a great and memorable hunt because it was the first time I've had a buck come to the exact place I expected him to after I unravelled his rubline. I tracked his rubline for a hundred yards or so, until it ended at a fence that separates our property (woods) from the neighbor's (pasture). I set up over the 3rd rub back from the pasture and got into my climber at about 1:00 and spent the afternoon glassing the fencerow and watching the neighbor's cattle. At 5:50 PM this guy just appeared in front of me, right at the rub I was hunting over. It was almost scary. I looked at the rub, turned my head to look over my other sholder, and then looked back at the rub and he was there. I was in shock. It was a very calm day and it was dry, and the entire area was covered with old treetops from some logging that was done a few years ago. It was so calm I could hear finches and bluebirds land on the ground. Squirrells sounded like army tanks. There is just no way that he came from my side of the fence without making a sound. I think he must have been bedded down in some small brushy spots in the pasture and then just hopped over the fence to his rub. Anyway, I had a clear, easy 25 yard shot with my smokepole and the rest is history. Meat in the freezer now..time to try for a really big boy (it could happen)

Old 10-25-2004, 04:01 PM

Default RE: Smokepole buck (pic)

I agree that big ole boy should of been an 8 Congrats
Old 10-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice fat six pointer.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Nice 3 point congrats
Old 10-25-2004, 08:10 PM

Nice 3 point congrats
LOL @ Theyoungone. NO that's 6pt. he, he

That's a good lookin 6 pter. Congrats
Old 10-25-2004, 08:24 PM

Thats a great buck to get out of the herd, he's probably 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 years old. Nice smoke pole deer.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:32 PM

nice buck, congrats there
Old 10-26-2004, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

TXhighrack...thats what I thought too, based on his body size and the size of his 6 pt. rack...until I got a look at his teeth. He's actually much younger than that...we think 3 1/2 at the most.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:37 AM

nice buck... congrats.... I wish had walked in front of me...
Old 10-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's funny you got one like that. I just shot a 6-point this year that should have been an 8. He had a 17 inch spread and a high rack. The deer itself went over 200lbs. We had one that used to come around a few years ago that looked like a giant mule deer. It had about a 22" spread, huge forks and brow tines. Congrats on the deer. He has character.

Quick Reply: Smokepole buck (pic)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.