Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ATTN: Shotgun Hunters

Old 10-22-2004, 06:28 PM

Default ATTN: Shotgun Hunters

Tomorrow I'm hunting with a first-time hunter (friend of mine) who is going to be hunting with a shotgun using Buckshot. I don't know the first thing about hunting deer with a shotgun. What distance should he be shooting and should he aim for the neck so as not to ruin the meat? Any other helpful tips would be appreciated!
Old 10-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ATTN: Shotgun Hunters

Keep it under 65 yards and aim for the chest area.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:34 PM

OK, thanks A5Mag12!
Old 10-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

If he hasn't sighted in his gun tell him to stay home!

No kidding...buckshot equals two round balls of lead traveling at high velocity for 100 yards. He better know his gun's capabilities.

But aside from that, stick him in a tree where he can shoot at a downward angle, aim for the vital chest region, and stick to 60-70 yard open shots and nothing further than 50 yards through "brush".
Old 10-22-2004, 08:25 PM

I completely agree with Strut&Rut!!! What is he doing out in the woods if he doesn't for 1..know what the heck he's doing, 2..know what his gun can do, 3..obviously doesn't know a good kill range of his ammo, 4..probably hasn't fired the gun with buckshot in it and knows the pattern of it, 5..I would imagine doesn't know even the slightest clue as to where the kill zone is on a deer and 6..why are you taking him out in the woods with you knowing all of this most likely to be true?????

I'm sorry, but both of you are extremely unethical and should stay out of the woods. Period! One day away from the season and you two are just trying to figure this out now?????? [:@] [:@] [:@]
Old 10-23-2004, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

The woulda, coulda, shoulda's don't do you any good now and I am the last person to turn anyone away from this great sport of ours. Since you don't have time to patter the gun keep your shot under 40 yards! Think safety first! Look beyond the target and make sure a stray pellet will not be a threat to anyone or anything else! At 4o yards and under you shouldn't have any problems with the pattern. Shoot for the vitals like you would with any shot! Do us all a favor and pattern the gun with the shot you'll be using when hunting asap! Safety first! To tell you the truth the best move would be to start your hunt an hour late and take the time to pattern the gun before going! Good luck....be smart....be SAFE!
Old 10-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unprepared does not equal unethical. Just because these guys are not experienced with shotguns does not mean they are bad or unsafe hunters, or that they will make bad decisions. Why do you think they are asking for advice?

If I had to go hunting tomorrow with a borrowed shotgun with a bird barrel, with buckshot for ammo, I wouldn't hesitate to go. I must be unethical right?

Give the high horse a rest, he must be tired by now.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Stump_MN_Hunter

I completely agree with Strut&Rut!!! What is he doing out in the woods if he doesn't for 1..know what the heck he's doing, 2..know what his gun can do, 3..obviously doesn't know a good kill range of his ammo, 4..probably hasn't fired the gun with buckshot in it and knows the pattern of it, 5..I would imagine doesn't know even the slightest clue as to where the kill zone is on a deer and 6..why are you taking him out in the woods with you knowing all of this most likely to be true?????

I'm sorry, but both of you are extremely unethical and should stay out of the woods. Period! One day away from the season and you two are just trying to figure this out now?????? [:@] [:@] [:@]
Stump -
Just so that you know. I am taking this fella hunting for 1... because he wants to learn and 2... because that was the condition for being able to hunt his grandparents property. He has noone with a hunting background in his family. The only firearm he has is a 12 ga. that his folks got him for turkey hunting. He has put his time into shooting the gun and has shot buckshot in it. Unfortunately, I can't tell him much about hunting with his shotgun, because the only time I've used one is to go rabbit hunting. This fella feels pretty confident with his skills with the gun. I was asking for me.

Now, being that I use a rifle to hunt with. All that I anticipated on having to share with him is what signs to look for, calls to use and how to use them, also typical deer behavior. Basically all the stuff that was taught to me years ago. For someone to be passing on the pleasures of being outdoors and promoting the sport of hunting, tell me, how is that being unethical.

I must admit, after rereading my origional post it may sound like all of this is a last minute procrastination. However, it is far from it. Again, I was asking for my own inquisition, not his. I didn't want to tell him, "You hunt the ladder stand overlooking the 2 acre field and I'll sit by the pond" (which the longest shot would be around 100 yards).

That would sound pretty stupid, don't you think? Also, the question about shot positioning was for me and maybe a little for him. He asked me where to shoot on a deer. I told him that I aim for the shoulder or just behind it. I also said that my wound would be considerably smaller than a 12 ga. would be. I told him that I thought he should aim for the neck so that alot of meet wouldn't be ruined. Apparently, I stand corrected on that.

Anyway, even if we didn't belong in the woods. Wouldn't it be more ethical to provide someone who asks a question with a logical answer instead of shooting them down as if they were nobodies.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:11 PM

Unprepared does not equal unethical. Just because these guys are not experienced with shotguns does not mean they are bad or unsafe hunters, or that they will make bad decisions. Why do you think they are asking for advice?

If I had to go hunting tomorrow with a borrowed shotgun with a bird barrel, with buckshot for ammo, I wouldn't hesitate to go. I must be unethical right?
UncleNorby...I'll address your issue first. I agree with everything in the first part of your post 100%, but his post says they are going out tomorrow. So yes I'd say that's unethical. I will forever take that stance because of guys not being able to take the time necessary to be proficient with their weapon and to know even where to shoot an animal to kill it. Hunting is the same time every year. Why is it that there are always posts on needing information so close to season every single year? Laziness. And yes, it's my opinion that you would be unethical in your scenario. For my peace of mind and for the animals that your trying to hunt....I hope that gun shoots a foot high and to the right.
Give the high horse a rest, he must be tired by now.
No high horse here. I guess I was just brought up different in regards to my hunting practices that you were.

davidhardegree,
Ok..it's all coming together now. On your behalf I apologize about me flying a bit off the handle. I just simply thought that your season was opening in one day and you wanted all of this info without knowing one bit of it already. Sorry. It just pisses me off to no end about the guys that think they should pickup their bow, gun or whatever weapon 1 week(heck sometime one day) before the season...shoot it twice and think they are ready to roll. Just irks me a little.

Anyway, even if we didn't belong in the woods. Wouldn't it be more ethical to provide someone who asks a question with a logical answer instead of shooting them down as if they were nobodies.
Yes I do agree, but to a point. It's my opinion that this info should be known well before the season rolls around. But maybe that's just me and how I grew up and how I was taught to hunt. But I suppose yes, if you don't know....ask. Never too late to know. Best of luck to you.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:36 PM

Stump-

At the risk of sounding all sentimental, thanks. I'm glad we're all on the same page. Or at least same chapter.

Good hunting!

Quick Reply: ATTN: Shotgun Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.