Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 New to Whitetail - Best Gun to Start With? >

New to Whitetail - Best Gun to Start With?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to Whitetail - Best Gun to Start With?

Old 11-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New to Whitetail - Best Gun to Start With?

300mag which I've been told is just overkill.
It is more than enough gun, but doesnt do any more damage than a 30-06. The high velocity will cause a pass through, that is unless you use balistic bullets (Which I would not use). If you like it, shot it. I have shot whitetail with 30-06 (which is one of my favorites), 300 wby (another one of my favorites, and talking about over kill), 270 (as good of a round as you can get for a whitetail), 243 (not good for much more than a whitetail), 22-250 (same catagory as the 243), 30-30 (great brush round, not good for extream distances, I dont take any shot over 150 yards with mine), 308 (same catagory as the 270 and 30-06, not as versitile as the 30-06 or fast as the 270, but a very accurate adequite round I know people who swear by them), 300 win (works great, not as juiced as the 300 rum, 300 wby, or 300 h and h but a very good round), 25-06 (great round, wish I hadnt sold mine[]), 7mm rum (havent owned one, yet, but am in the process. have taken deer with a friends), and 338 rum (I would not recomend this round for anything under elk, I did shot a whitetail once with mine, it did the job but talking about over kill). Id also look into the short action mags, I hear great things about them. I am looking into getting a 25 wssm. That is if the wife doesnt threaten to divorce me. Like some have mentioned, pick the gun for where you hunt. I hunt North West Texas so most of my shots are from 100 to 200 yards, that is why I like the high velocity guns (7mm, 300s, 270s, and 30-06)

As for makes, my favorite are , weatherby vanguard, rem. 700 adl, the new savage with the acutriger, and tikki. All are very good, and wont break the bank. I picked up a rem 700 adl at wally world last year for $325.00, not bad for a good gun.

Good luck, and welcome the our little neighbor hood.