Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Is it always a mad scramble to pack for hunting trip? >

Is it always a mad scramble to pack for hunting trip?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it always a mad scramble to pack for hunting trip?

Old 10-20-2004, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Is it always a mad scramble to pack for hunting trip?

Lemmee look at this list..... bow and quiver, check, dip, check. Flashlight.....oh, I have to recharge the batteries, let me do that. I can't take out the flashlight to the car yet until they are charged and in it. Let me put them in the charger. No Conor, stay up here. Daddy will be right back... While I'm down here, I'll grab the gambrels for the deer. Oh, I have to take off the practice blades on my broadheads. Wait a minute, buddy, I'll be right up, go ahead and watch your cartoons...

Gotta dump my bag of cleaned hunting clothes in the backyard to sort them in day one and day two bags so I don't have to figure what's up in the dark of morning before the hunt.....

Is it like this when you go hunting? I try to be prepared, but like to take my trips based on the weather, so sometimes go on a day's notice.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is it always a mad scramble to pack for hunting trip?

I got tired of forgetting stuff and going thru the pre-hunt panic so I made up a hunting gear checklist on a spreadsheet. I have a column for warm weather bowhunting, cold weather bowhunting, and gun hunting. It sounds stupid but I don't forget things anymore and I can pack in no time. I also use rubbermaid totes for my different gear. Green tote = warm weather gear, blue tote = cold weather gear, and black tote = blaze orange for gun hunting.

You mentioned your son. Little tip, don't let him help you pack. I let my oldest son help me once and when I blew on what I thought was my grunt call it sounded way too much like a hen mallard. Happy packing.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: tbonecpa

You mentioned your son. Little tip, don't let him help you pack. I let my oldest son help me once and when I blew on what I thought was my grunt call it sounded way too much like a hen mallard. Happy packing.

I found Play Dough in my Primo can. Not real funny at 6 in the morning, 1/2 mile from your truck.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:35 PM

nope dosen't happen hear. if you saw the way i pack you would think i was going to be gone a month instead of a day [:-]. i normally have everything packed 2 nights before hand that way when forget something i normally think of it when i am laying in bed at night and i get up and make a note to find it in the morning l

ike the junior hunt tomorrow i have had my gun/bullets/cold,warm,wet weather gear/grunt tube/socks/beef jerky/ knife and anything else you might think of packed up sence monday [:-]

i just really hate to forget something on a hunt it can make the difference between a good time and a bad time. rather be safe then sorry anyday

good luck
Old 10-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my ritual: Grab hunting pack out of closet, put water, jerky, fresh batteries, laundry if necessary, and ammo in, that's pretty much it.

I've got a modular pack that breaks down into 4 parts (I've got a 5 in one with a large pack frame, but I don't use it as much as the 4 in 1)...I load the permanent stuff like the gambrel and block and pulley, stuff that can just stay in the truck/camp in one, stuff that I'll need on the hunt (or MIGHT NEED) in the day pack part, and other stuff I'll need on the trip in the other compartments. I try to leave everything in the pack all year so I don't have to worry about where it is next year.

Assigning your hunting pack as the permanent storage facility for your hunting gear is a quantum leap of brain power, but it works.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:50 PM

This reminds me of a few seasons ago when I got into the woods and realized I forgot my ammo hehe.

It was deer season and we drove about an hour to our hunting location and walked about 3 miles into the woods(there was a group of me, my dad, two uncles, and two cousins so I didn't want to load my gun until I broke off the pack). Anyways I walked the trail with them until I came to the area where I turned off then went to load my gun. I searched all through my coat and realized I forgot my ammo! I ended up just sitting with my dad all day.

I usually just grab my coat, gun, and ammo then head out the door. I forget stuff all the time but I usually try to put everything in my coat(gloves, hat, ammo, etc) which has a zipper up game bag on the back.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:10 PM

i ussually try to have everything packed a day before hand, but i end up unpacking everyting 3 or so times to make sure i have everything i need even though i over pack all of the time.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep I never unpack my car,still got stuff in the one car rom the 98 trip to Iowa
Old 10-21-2004, 02:16 AM

i can relate dougmd, i always think i have everything ready..............but never do!!!
Old 10-21-2004, 06:19 AM

I have been packed since June. Just one final "dance in the dryer" for my scent-lok stuff, and it's off to the ball. Except I still don't have a hunting buddy. The only thing that Wal-Mart ain't got. Does that suck or what?

Quick Reply: Is it always a mad scramble to pack for hunting trip?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.