Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Disabled hunt a big success

Old 10-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Disabled hunt a big success

Well other then getting a big fat doe I seen 2 things I never seen in 44 years of hunting. I arrived at the parking lot a 4:45 am .First one there. the organizers of the hunt arrived shortly after. They took me about a mile to back of the electric companies property about 100 yards from the river. The morning was crisp and fresh with a frost.The stars were shining in glory. The fog was over the river like a misty heaven. On the way in we seen several deer in the fields. As I sat there I could hear the workers taking the other disabled hunters to their stands in the distance. A perfect morning.As it got light I was watching the ridge that ran out in front of me to the river.The guy told me watch that thick area. Nothing happening till about 7:45 am Then I heard a sound like I never heard before. It sounded like a 1/2 dozen people were slapping a 4x8 piece of plywood on the water. Looking down toward the river I seen movement in the river. My god there is a herd of deer running across the river in about 3 feet of water. They were belly flopping all the way across causing the sound. They reached the bank and came right toward me.this was a doe hunt only with bow or muzzy. Oh my the first deer a giant buck ,I mean giant,then another buck,buck buck,buck,buck, buck,buck . eight in a row all over 16 inch spreads and the first being at least a 150 buck. Then the last deer was a mature doe. 1 shot and she fell in the spot. The voulunteers heard the shot and arrived within 5 minutes. Took it back to the waiting area had some good fellowship and interviewed by the Lancaster newspaper . It officially weighed 143 lbs field dressed. By 10:30 3 deer down and 4 misses. I then seen 2 more buck while waiting to be taken to my car. Some people seen over 60 doe and no shots available and many seen over 20 bucks.When I left they were getting ready to drive the 800 acres for the rest of the wheelchair people.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Disabled hunt a big success

Congradulations and am glad you were able to put some meat in the freezer. To bad you couldn't take one of those bucks. But after all that doe will be yummy.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:08 PM
Dominant Buck

What a grand adventure Cardeer !
How did your "short" buddy from your previous post do ?
Old 10-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like an awesome hunt!!! Enjoy the delicious meat!
Old 10-18-2004, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats, too bad you couldnt have taken a buck!!!!! Sounded like a lot of fun.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Kevin he got a nice doe to,we both were interviewed by the newspaper. And might be pictured in their thursday morning hunting sports section
Old 10-18-2004, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations cardeer!! It's great to hear that your hunt was a success!! Thanks for sharing the story with us.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:19 PM

Cardeer, I live in Lancaster County and take my kids to muddy run on occasion to spot, and I know what you mean by BIG Buck. I'm just thrilled that you were able to hunt and even harvest such a wonderful animal after hearing one of your other posts about giving up on hunting. Keep the faith there is still opportunuities out there.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, that was exciting to read about it! I can only imagine what it was like being there!
Old 10-18-2004, 06:09 PM

Man, this story makes me happy! It is pleasing to hear that even our disabled citizens can enjoy hunting! Great job and good luck getting that big one!

Quick Reply: Disabled hunt a big success

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.