HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Disabled hunt a big success
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 12:09 PM
cardeer
Boone & Crockett

Default Disabled hunt a big success

Well other then getting a big fat doe I seen 2 things I never seen in 44 years of hunting. I arrived at the parking lot a 4:45 am .First one there. the organizers of the hunt arrived shortly after. They took me about a mile to back of the electric companies property about 100 yards from the river. The morning was crisp and fresh with a frost.The stars were shining in glory. The fog was over the river like a misty heaven. On the way in we seen several deer in the fields. As I sat there I could hear the workers taking the other disabled hunters to their stands in the distance. A perfect morning.As it got light I was watching the ridge that ran out in front of me to the river.The guy told me watch that thick area. Nothing happening till about 7:45 am Then I heard a sound like I never heard before. It sounded like a 1/2 dozen people were slapping a 4x8 piece of plywood on the water. Looking down toward the river I seen movement in the river. My god there is a herd of deer running across the river in about 3 feet of water. They were belly flopping all the way across causing the sound. They reached the bank and came right toward me.this was a doe hunt only with bow or muzzy. Oh my the first deer a giant buck ,I mean giant,then another buck,buck buck,buck,buck, buck,buck . eight in a row all over 16 inch spreads and the first being at least a 150 buck. Then the last deer was a mature doe. 1 shot and she fell in the spot. The voulunteers heard the shot and arrived within 5 minutes. Took it back to the waiting area had some good fellowship and interviewed by the Lancaster newspaper . It officially weighed 143 lbs field dressed. By 10:30 3 deer down and 4 misses. I then seen 2 more buck while waiting to be taken to my car. Some people seen over 60 doe and no shots available and many seen over 20 bucks.When I left they were getting ready to drive the 800 acres for the rest of the wheelchair people.