Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 farmland vs. mountains: which would you rather hunt??? >

farmland vs. mountains: which would you rather hunt???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

farmland vs. mountains: which would you rather hunt???

Old 10-16-2004, 09:31 PM

Default RE: farmland vs. mountains: which would you rather hunt???

Thats an easy one for me I am disabled so its definately farm land. Cant handle the mountains.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:24 PM

All I have ever hunted is mountains, and it can be very difficult and challenging, to say the least. I would love to hunt farm land, some time soon, I hope!!
Old 10-17-2004, 12:09 AM
Typical Buck

I've hunted both and I also like the mountains better! I don't know what it is but there is something about watching a deer sneaking through the woods that you just don't get hunting open fields!.....Jim
Old 10-18-2004, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: JerseyJim

I've hunted both and I also like the mountains better! I don't know what it is but there is something about watching a deer sneaking through the woods that you just don't get hunting open fields!.....Jim

I'm totally with you. I've hunted farmland, and saw much bigger deer and probably more deer too, but seeing that deer sneaking throughthe woods 20 or 30 yards from you is amazing. I now hunt in the Catskills of NY and enjoy it much more than the farms.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

For the fun of the hunt, mountains by far. I have access to some farmland, and God knows the deer get bigger. But hunting the mountains means going to the cabin with my buddies and having a great time in the middle of nowhere. It also means solitude. No cars or dogs or phones. Deer in the LEAVES rather than fields, as Jimbo said.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: james b

I would say, It's all what your accustomed to. I grew up and live here in Northeast Oklahoma, right on the edge of the Ozark foothills. In less than a fifteen minute drive from my house I can hunt deep draws with hardwood flats or I can go fifteen minutes the other direction and hunt rolling prarie with thick brush surrounded by fields of soybeans and milo. I prefer to hunt the hardwoods. I've found nothing more enjoyable than sitting in an oak tree on a flat top ridge listening to the sounds of squirles barking and birds of all kinds carrying on their endless conversations. I have taken deer in both settings, but for me, I enjoy the "woods" over the farmland "prarie".
Old 10-18-2004, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: james b

I have to come clean here. Even though I hunt a hardwood mountain there are acres of farm fields on the far side of the mountain. I get the best of both worlds. I've seen some great bucks (for Jersey) on this property!