Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Fustrated with farmland buck aticles >

Fustrated with farmland buck aticles

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fustrated with farmland buck aticles

Old 04-08-2003, 11:01 PM

Default Fustrated with farmland buck aticles

I live in central Pennsylvania where we have farmland and Forest. We have an extensive public hunting opportunities in these forest. When I read articles from magaizines they focus almost extensively on farmland hunting. I know that hunting in these forest is much harder than hunting farmland deer. You have to figure out what they are eating and this changes constantly. Some years we have good accorn supply and other years we don`t. We also have very high and dense laurel. We also have mountains that can be pretty steep. The other problem we have is that there is a high doe to buck ratio. These lands get extreme pressure during the season. For archery here the first to weeks are the best. When the early muzzleloader season enters there are drives and shots everywhere. Then fall turkey season enters in. After that bear season comes in. The people here put on drives to get there bears mostly. These drives put extreme pressure on the dear and it changes their habits. These are big woods and deer do different things here. I have a trailtimer photohunter and I can tell you there are some big racks in this area. Most of my photos are at night. The articles I see in magizines seem to always show farmlands. My opinion on this is that these reporter are lazy and don`t want to put the effort in hunting these areas. A gentleman from my area had film of a 13 point with a drop tine and I think he sent them to primos. I would like to to see primos hunt this area and see how difficult it is.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Fustrated with farmland buck aticles

Primos and most other companies will probably never hunt land like you are describing. They will go tho the private ranches that invite them so the ranch name will be in the video or on T.V. They also need a good steady stream of big bucks running around everywhere to make the shows interesting. The average hunter (most of us) will never get to hunt on these lands that these companies get to hunt on. Lets face it farmland deer get to eat all of the time, are alot easier so get a shot, and grow real big which makes for better magazine articles and videos.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:45 AM

I with Big on this one.

These guys aren' t going to do any more work then they have to. If you are shopping for a car your not going to go to the town with one car lot, your going to go to the town with many car lots.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:58 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-09-2003, 09:06 AM

I' m not trying to be argumentative but I disagree Nick. I believe it is much easier to take a farmland buck than a deep forest buck any day.

On farmland it is much easier to pattern deer movement and eating patterns.

Old 04-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have hunted both in my career. Give me some nice farmland mix any day over endless big woods. Maybe I was just used to hunting farmland. Both can hold the deer and both can produce big bucks, but I' ll take farmland any day. Now I' ve been doing some suburb hunting as well. Whole different world from either of those. You have to be very tolerant to outside things then. There are no peaceful hunts, but sometimes the rewards can really pay off in huge bucks, and sheer numbers of deer seen.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-09-2003, 05:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-09-2003, 07:34 PM

I spend alot of time scouting. I find that the mature bucks bed on steep thick side hills. You tell me how to get them if you can`t see more that 10 feet because the laurel is so thick and high. I have a inferred camera there and I can tell you there are several bucks there over 24" spread. This area is fairly big. I have hunted farm land bucks and scouting and hunting them is easier. I still feel that the writers for these magazines are to lazy to hunt these areas.

Quick Reply: Fustrated with farmland buck aticles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.