Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Pa looking to use rifle in ALL deer seasons >

Pa looking to use rifle in ALL deer seasons

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pa looking to use rifle in ALL deer seasons

Old 10-15-2004, 12:57 PM

Default Pa looking to use rifle in ALL deer seasons

... in any DMAP area in pa.

At least that is what DCNR (dept Conservtion & Natural Resources) is asking the PGC for for next season?

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-.../s_259963.html

"He did note (Mike Deberdannis), however, that DCNR will be looking for additional deer management reforms from the Game Commission. The idea of allowing rifles to be used on DMAP lans during all deer seasons remains a priority, as does letting hunters get more than one DMAP coupon per site. "
"DiBerardinis said he would like to begin talks about those kinds of issues soon. Rather than wait until January -- when commissioners typically consider seasons and bag limits -- to offer suggestions, DiBerardinis suggested staff from the two agencies begin working together immediately to "examine further hunting options, determine the workability of these options, and identify actions for you to address at your January meeting."

and the response from the PGC was....

"For the Commission's part, Schleiden said commissioners are committed to making whatever changes are necessary to manage the state's deer for the benefit of the herd and its habitat. "

Well, I would say that DMAP is the program which directs hunter pressure where it is most needed. It is the Deer Management Assistance program and covers about 400,000 acres this year. (90% of it is public land in the state forests system).
And the PGC's Russ Schleiden seems committed to doing whatever is neccesary to bring deer numbers down in those areas. The whole reason for DMAP was to allow landowners an additional tool to manage thier numbers as they see fit.

So I would think then that the PGC would be considering for 2005 to allow all hunters to use rifles during the archery season, and both ML seasons in the DMAP properties. After all he said he is "committed to making whatever changes are necessary to manage the state's deer for the benefit of the herd and its habitat. "

For many that will be great news. For one the PGC is acknowledging that rifle hunters are the most effective tool they have for managing deer. They want to give them more hunting opportunity and will let them fill thier DMAP tags in archery and ml seasons.

I would say that is a good thing to get our burgeoning herd under control in DMAP areas and it will make hunters happier since it extends thier short rifle season.

Kudos to the foward thinking folks at DCNR and the PGC. This should begin to move PA's herd reductions foward, just pa hunters have said we need.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:04 PM

Default RE: Pa looking to use rifle in ALL deer seasons

the way i took this is that rifle will be able to be used in archery season. ok does the same rules apply?? do you have to wear orange?? so what seperates archery from rifle season if rifle season is also in archery season. wow man i'm confused!!