Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 possible changes for NY deer seasons >

possible changes for NY deer seasons

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

possible changes for NY deer seasons

Old 03-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default possible changes for NY deer seasons

heard this evening (from a friend that works for the state - been talking with some DEC folks) that they may be changing the season in a bit less (actually a ton less) drastic way. he says that they may go with this:

early ML for 3 days starting Oct 12th (primitive only - no inlines)
Archery - Oct 15th to day before 3rd Saturday in Nov
Gun - 23 days
late bow - same as now (?)
late ML - 9 days

I say big whoop. doesn't really do much of anything to make ML more equitable (not even an extra weekend). don't mind the primative 3 day opener (wouldn't mind being able to use my inline though). bow hunters lose a prime weekend of bow and no early season.

I don't know how accurate this info is or if this will happen. If it does it doesn't really seem to reflect much of the sentiment that I have heard. Maybe there was much more comment similar to the above than I thought???
Old 03-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: possible changes for NY deer seasons

Interesting, first I heard of this.

As far as gut/ first impression.....

It does not seem to reflect what has been brought to the state's attention by the NY hunters.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure after the public meetings the DEC is looking at other possibilities. Least if they listened to the public at all. Seems from what I saw, and read here the general concensus wasn't for ml in the middle of archery. But was for expanded opportunities. If what you heard has any truth thats not expanding much of anything. I personnally wish they'd make a decision soon. It'd help me on my time-off decisions from work.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think if they want a Muzzle season they should put it first Oct. 1-7 then have bow start the 8th. That way the deer calm down and get into a pattern again. Besides there are so many leaves still on the trees that I don't think the take will be that high,well I hope not since last year I saw the least amount of deer ever.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well her it is ...NUMBER 1000. I'm so proud of myself. (pat, pat, pat)

I have been advocating the October 1st ML (if they have any early ML) and a large expansion at the end of the reg season for ML. The end expansion seems to be the easiest. I hope that the non-hunter griping isn't going to ruin this for us. I know that there are concerens out there, but I really don't think many are too valid - look at all the other states that have longe seasons. Late hunting won't effect snowmobilers much - they don't look much like deer and are going too fast to get a bead on ); hikers and skiers don't look much like deer, and if hunters don't want to be disturbed by those and other recreationists, they can find a more secluded hunting spot. Also, the other winter recreations have a good 3 months to enjoy themselves after deer season (Jan-March).
Old 03-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

3 months to enjoy themselves after deer season (Jan-March).

Hey this is Central new york.....they also have a good part of April
Old 03-09-2005, 01:59 PM

I got this from a DEC officer over the weekend. He said the dates will be announced March 15th. And he, without committing himself with a quote, led me to believe that the whole plan will be put on hold for further review. So who knows, I'm sure there are more rumers out there than cougar sightings. We will all see in a week.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:39 PM

I just cant say enough how much Im against a later MZ season! When they see how many bucks without antlers are shot as does, theyll see theyve again shot themselves in the foot. From what Im seeing, or should I say, NOT seeing, many folks dont realize how many big bucks shed early. Id rather see the MZ season stay the same, but if it MUST expand, start it at the beginning like SpikeHorn said. It makes me wonder just how much the "powers that be" know about these deer!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

not buyin that arguement Bill. More deer keep their antlers thru Dec then lose them. Yes, some may drop them, but does it really matter?? Deer in the frezeer is deer in the freezer. 2 extra weeks at the end of current ML isn't going to deeplete the buck population.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:38 PM

I thought that the changes were to make the oportunities in the southern tier same as the Northern. This is not fact just what I'm hearing. No changes for the Northern Tier. I'm not sure about bow because I don't have one and I didn't pay much attention. Opening day in the ST will be on a Saturday(shotgun). There also may be a week before and after shotgun season for ML. I didn't hear any thing about traditional vs. inline. That is just what I heard. I will try to get some info off the DEC website. Good Luck

Quick Reply: possible changes for NY deer seasons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.