Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

no harness

Old 10-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: no harness

i am 25yrs old, and i have been in some tree with my climber that i dont know what i was thinking........anyone ever get into a tree with a climber that had no bark?? Yea that was me last weekend, and when the stand started to slide, i got the heck out of dodge, but the summit did its job and got me safely to the ground but it was windy and i didnt want to take the chance of the whole stand slipping. I dont wear one when climbing but i wear one when i get set up, i am very careful.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Grizzlybear

David - are there any chest only (as opposed to full body) harnesses that might work for you? Good luck in the search!
I've yet to find one in town to try. Some of the vest harnesses I referred to before have the leg loops, but I can't find one to try. I'll keep searching, though.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:14 PM

PEOPLE!!!!

This September, while taking down a ladder stand to relocate it, I fell 15' on to my back. My two sons, 8 and 5 years old witnessed it - they both thought I was dead. 500 yards off the road, no cell phone coverage, 2 hours from home... get the picture??? 15' does't sound like much, but I had time to tell myself, this is going to hurt as I was falling, it seemed to take forever to hit the ground.

The good news! I hit the ground - I didn't land on the metal stand or the stumps from the sapplings I cut at the base of the tree. As soon as I had my breath, I said a prayer. Although I couldn't yet stand, I assured the boys I was fine and I just needed a few minutes. Thank God thats all I needed. Within five minutes, I was up, but it the worst pain I've ever felt.

It was the longet most painful 2 hour drive I've ever had. When I got home I couldn't even lay down. I went to the emergency room, they said two other men came in during past month from falling out of stands and were both paralized. After an exam, I had no broken bones or disc issues, just muscle issues. I've been back in the woods several times in Oct preparing my stands and blinds. I was VERY fortunate and thank God EVERYDAY. Someone above mentioned they only go up 10'... Christopher Reeve fell off a horse and was paralized. That's what??? 7 feet?

Sorry to be long winded. When I was reading about how many of you are not wearing saftey harnesses, I freaked! It is a MUST. Please don't take changes. I know my sons will always use the safety harnesses after seeing me fall. I'm looking at life very differently now. I'm lucky to be hunting NC opening day this Sat!

WEAR YOU HARNESS!!!!!
Old 10-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey skyhigh glad to see your still with us after that fall! I hope your boys are alright after seeing that as well!
I bought the Safty Harness System Vest 1 week ago. I've worn it 6 times since then and will NOT go up with out it! I love it.There are to many variables that are not in my control like equipment failure not to wear one. I just got a feeling, I have been lucky untill now! Plus I feel safe and more confident leaning out to shoot! Piece of mind, less to worry about up there! It's smart...jmo!

Like I said glad you and the boys are alright! I hate reading about things like this! Good Luck!
Old 10-13-2004, 09:07 PM

I used to NOT wear a harness. Last year while going up the tree (without a harness on) my climber lost grip on the tree and I started to fall. I only fell maybe a foot before the stand caught a grip again but that was enough for me. Right then and there I pulled my harness out of my pack (that's right it was in my pack) and put it on (in the pitch black darkness). Now as soon as i get my stand strapped to the tree, I strap my harness to the tree, before even getting into the stand. I use it religiously while climbing and descending. I may take it off once I get as high as I want to be but then I don't move around much after that. If I have to stand up to stretch, I strap on the harness. I don't want to go out like that. Yes it takes a few more minutes but IMH(scared)O it's worth it. Besides, I am usually out there WAY before shooting light. Any noise I might make going up the tree with a harness isn't going to affect anything much anyway. The deer may move off but not far. I've usually spooked 'em long before that anyway.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:10 AM

the harness I have is a chest harness. I put it on before I start walking in to the woods. I dont hook to the tree until I have reached the height I am going to setup at. I stand up, attach the rope to the tree above my head and then to my harness. Not had a problem yet with climbing this way.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

My newest Summit Climber came with a different harness than the one a few years back. The leg/crotch straps have buckles and straps that should fit any stature, I am 55 and 5’10” at 220 lbs and I have 18” or so extra strap on each leg. Always use with my climber even on the way up and down. Use for my ladders also. Have a large permanent with sturdy rails that I do not use it on.

By the way OSHA says any fall over 6 foot can be lethal.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:28 AM

Mr Gravity is just waiting for those that don't.
So is Mr. Murphy. I'm 26 and never use to wear anything. I had taken a small 10 footer from a ladder stand when I was about 20. not a big deal but the ground was soft and I ddin't land on anything. Now I'm married and have a two year old son and another little boy due anyday I feel a touch more responcibility. I'd like to be able to pass along the hunting tradition a opposed to eating out of a tube.

Play it safe. You may never need a harness but it won't kill you to wear one.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

I used to be a tree surgeon. I saw one man fall out of a tree and die. Another climber fell 10 feet off a ladder and broke his ankle so bad it had to be fused so he now walks with a crutch. These were professional tree climbers. The rule in that profession is to never climb unsecured.

If your rig is inconvenient to use, then get a different rig. And dont climb dead trees.. especially dead pines.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:38 PM

Working in Public Safety in a somewhat rural area, I have picked up several individuals whochose not to wear one. I myself always wear one.
BUT I am the last person to try to force another person to wear one. I was 100% in support of Pa repealing their helmet law for motorcycle riders, but still wear mine.

The more people who are willing to push their luck, the more business I have !!!!!
(before anyone BLASTS me for my last comment, It was a joke!!)

Quick Reply: no harness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.