Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Black bear

Old 10-10-2004, 08:00 PM

Default Black bear

Hi guys quick questions for anyone that might be able to help. I've been putting corn out at my stand for about a month now and have been seeing really good sign, but today when I went to my stand I found signs of a bear, I'm wondering if this bear is going to scare my deer away and is it worth putting corn out if there is a bear in the area, will it eat all the corn, any suggestions or help would be great.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Black bear

In the area I hunt here in New Jersey, I see bears all the time, but I never noticed the deer bein scared of the bears, deer can and will out run a bear if the deer are healthy, the deer just avoid the bears
Old 10-11-2004, 04:59 PM

Just wondering since you said you put corn out at your stand! Is it legal to bait in your state?
Old 10-12-2004, 03:04 PM

I don't bait personally but most of the other guys in camp do and we are in an area with a large bear population. We have noticed that when a bear moves in on your bait they tend to keep coming back and eat all the bait. Deer don't really seem to mind but they will have nothing to eat and they tend to avoid the area if there is a lot of bear scat around.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:38 PM

That bear will scare the deer. Its happening on my land right now. Its eating all the corn
But the best thing about it is now i can turn my deer hunt into a trophy black bear hunt
Old 10-13-2004, 12:22 AM

Had the exact same experience last night. Was up in the stand, watched quite a few does and bucks come and go but nothin to let the 7mm bark over. Was right about quitting time and ol yogi shows up on the scene and strolls over to my oats pile and starts to snack. Had to talk to him for 5 minutes before he would leave so i could climb down. I would have taken him but i tagged out this spring so all i could do was threaten him with what would happen if he didn't toddle off. The deer had already moved on so he did not spook anything away from the pile but i begin to wonder what might have been. If he never showed up there would have a big buck came in. Not sure but i certainly don't think he was doing me any favors. What to do? Can't shoot him, don't want anyone else to shoot him cause it will ruin my hotspot. I guess i am just going to have to feed him for a few weeks yet until he takes his nap.