Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 My girlfriends uncle thinks hunting is wrong >

My girlfriends uncle thinks hunting is wrong

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My girlfriends uncle thinks hunting is wrong

Old 10-05-2004, 07:01 PM

Default My girlfriends uncle thinks hunting is wrong

My girlfriends uncle thinks hunting is wrong. He wonts to no why we hunt what the hole perpis is an i tryed to tell him but he wonts othere peoples replis so all you tru hunters out there let him no why an be honest to him an your selfs
Old 10-05-2004, 07:28 PM

Default RE: My girlfriends uncle thinks hunting is wrong

My first thought is this is not even worthy of a response because anti-hunters are not educated on exactly what you are asking us to do. I don't belieive this site will convert an anti-hunter but absence of hunting, car insurance will be higher based on more accidents, over population leads to malnutrition of herds and disease. Numerous families are fed due to hunters donating the meat along with hunters feeding their own families. If, lets just say if hunting was banned, how would you pay to reduce the herds, poison them? Utilize sterilization. At present hunters foot the bill by buying millions of dollars in tags and equipment. Ban hunting and everyone will foot the bill even non-hunters!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

he probably cannot understand you if you talk like you write because i don't know what the hell you typed . get spellcheck
Old 10-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

9Pointer123,
First, welcome to the best hunting site on the net!
Next, know that most anti-hunters are very closed minded. If he is open minded to debate, you may be able to convince him to see things differently by presenting the FACTS about hunting!
The number one fact is that 100 years ago there was litte game left in America, but through the efforts of HUNTERS, most game species are at record numbers today!
Hunters taxes, go to support the vast majority of conservation work, habitat restoration, wildlife sanctuaries, and public parks, that ALL people enjoy! Not JUST the hunters!
Also, with wildlife populations booming, hunting is the most sensible, economical way of keeping game populations under control. Most anti's that never get in the woods, have never seen animals starve, due to over population! It is much more ethical to harvest (hunt) animals, than to allow them to suffer a slow starving death! All the while claiming how much they "love" animals!
Over population also causes disease, weaker genetics, crop and property damage, and more auto accidents!
Lastly, hunting is big business! It is good for the economy! There are countless rural communities that make the lions share of their yearly income from hunters!
All of the above are legitimate facts, that cannot rationally be argued against, except by unrealistic, closed minded people!
It is one thing to claim a fantasy "love of animals," while doing little to support wildlife, and quite another thing to love, AND respect animals with our money, our work, and our lives!
I would put the "love of wildlife," of an avid hunter, up against that of a tree-hugger, or anti, any day of the week!
Old 10-05-2004, 10:50 PM

Tell her uncle be careful hugging trees, as he might get a splinter..I for one hope the spotted owls crap on his head!!
Old 10-05-2004, 10:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most anti-hunters focus on the specific animal. Discovery and National Geographic always promote biologists. They focus on the animal, not the entire ecosystem. In my opinion, when the animals all have names, you are not an "unbiased" researcher. The focus should be on ecology, and the role of the animal in nature. Nature focuses on the ecosystem and the population of animals as a whole. People will argue that man has should be taken out of the picture. I argue that even man has a thread in the web of life. Man's influence can never be taken out. For instance, our ranch has been in the family since the 1870's. Deer populations did not arrive unitl the 1970's and 1980's. This is because Texas eradicated the screw-worm fly. (This is not the only human influence, but it is one.) Until this time, only a few types of animals could survive well, and the deer was not one of them. With the disappearance of large predators at the turn of the last century, nothing is left to control the deer population except for hunting and automobiles. By nature, the deer is a prey species. Unchecked, deer populations would rise out of control. Without hunting, the population would grow beyond the carrying capacity of the land, damaging the land from overgrazing. The deer would eventually starve back down, but some of the habitat would take hundreds of years, if not longer, to recover. Some places might never fully recover. Trapping doesn't fix the problem, only making a bigger problem elsewhere. Steriliztion is not practical, economically or otherwise. With human encroachment, reintroducing large predators is a lost cause, as encroachment is what made them dissappear in the first place. So why hunt? It promotes a healthy population by selectively havesting animals, much like the larger predators did. It is economically feasible, as hunters are willing to pay to harvest. It promotes the maintenance of habitat by rewarding landowners for the productivity of their resources. The deer population wins as a whole. If the view of the animal wins, the population of deer as a whole and of the ecosystem loses.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well 9pointer123,
I hope your girlfriend is smarter than her uncle. I have a cousin who thinks the same way. She supposedly is an animal lover, and basically what I tell her is if she really cares about wildlife then the most beneficial thing she could do for the wildlife is to buy a hunting license and get into the shooting sports. I tell her that she doesn't have to actually shoot anything, but if she wants to put her money where her mouth is, then at least buy a hunting license.

Click on this link and read about the Pittman Robertson Act, and you will see why. Print it out and show it to her uncle, and you will probably see how closed minded he is

http://fa.r9.fws.gov/wr/fawr.html

C. Davis
Old 10-05-2004, 11:01 PM

Keep in mind that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether we agree with it or not. If he's willing to keep an open mind, then you should too. That being said, I hunt because of the closeness I feel to the game I persue. Many people have tried, and we all fail to express properly the feeling one gets when matching wits with mother nature. It's about the smell of fall, when the leaves are just beginning to turn. Or, a spring gobbler sounding off from his roost, proclaiming himself as king of the forest. Whistling wings before dawn as you sip your first cup of coffee, scratching the ears of a retriever who will wade freezing water all day for the thrill of the hunt. The regret you feel as you stroke the feathers of that beautiful tom back into place. The thrill just before the moment of truth. Knowing you could survive on your own if need be. Man has been hunting for his food since time began, only recently has anyone questioned the morality of it. This is a symptom of our weakness, how spoiled we have become as a society. Do you reckon any tribesmen in Africa question the morality of hunting? I Know we no longer have to hunt to survive, but that burger fron Wendy's is no less dead than a deer backstrap grilled with carrots and potatoes. Invite your girlfriend's uncle to hunt and let him see and feel things most people never will.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:19 AM

Take the sucker hunting and show him!

If he still doesn't get it then ................take him fishing . make sure you give him the HEAVY life vest!
Old 10-06-2004, 01:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

We were made by God to be a predator. The bible says we are suppose to kill and eat.He made the animals for us and gave us the responsibilty to care for them. And that includes population control. Nothing worse the seeing something starve to death. And that would be wasting What God meant for are consumption. If he believes in God ,then He might have hope.

Quick Reply: My girlfriends uncle thinks hunting is wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.