Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

where should i set up

Old 10-04-2004, 03:52 PM

Default where should i set up

i went to my aunt's farm last weekend. i haven't had much time to scout the farm, but the couple of times i did i saw deer in an alfalfa field by her creek. well last weekend i brought my bow along and still hunted from the pasture towards the alfalfa field. i got about halfway and met a doe and her two fawns on a trail she was coming down and i was going up. if she had been a little closer or if a branch had not been over the trail i would have taken a shot at her. in the evening i set up off the alalfa field and saw a doe about 90 yards away. problem was it was so dry it was like walking on potato chips. now back to my question in the pasture along the creek there are several oak trees (not clumped together) and the acorns are falling. should i set up by the oaks and hope a deer comes by or should i set up off the field and wait for them to come out? (this will be a much easier question during rifle season) oh this is about a 240 acre chunk of pasture creekbottom trees and farmland. what do you guys think?
Old 10-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: where should i set up

hmm.. its hard to tell from your description but what i would do is find a heavy used trail leading into that field and set up on it about 30 yards inside the timber from the field.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:17 AM

that is what i was thinking except the only problem is the adjoining field is a pasture that has been around for over 100 years and has some pretty worn cattle trails in it.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

I would set up off the alfalfa field, too. Are there any oaks in the wooded area or only out in the pasture? The oaks will be a draw this time of year, but not so much during the day if they are all out in the middle of a pasture.
Brian
Old 10-06-2004, 02:26 PM

the creek bottom (wooded area) is in the pasture and yes the oaks are in there as well as in the pasture.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

i agree