Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

6000 dollar deer heads

Old 10-01-2004, 01:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default 6000 dollar deer heads

things are really crazy over on ebay. someone is selling a pair of locked up buck for 6000.00 The story says one of the bucks was found dead and the other taken with a bow? Gee shooting a deer while on the ground locked to a dead deer? usually in a case like that people cut the racks apart and let the live deer go. Real sportsman and now he wants 6 grand for his great hunt. You know what I was just thinking I could take 2 of my mounts and twist them together and make that claim. I remember seeing a pair of lock antlers only ,Not mounts, go for over 2000.00 on ebay,some idiot blew their money
Old 10-01-2004, 07:52 AM

Default RE: 6000 dollar deer heads

i wonder if its legal here we only get 1 buck
Old 10-01-2004, 08:20 AM

I found a couple bucks locked up about 5 years ago. We called the warden. When he showed up he said we could take them since we both had tags. We didn't want to. That wasn't hunting. The warden took my shotgun and shot one of the beams off. That is the best way to unhook them I believe. BTW they both would've scored around 130.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

I saw a show on the outdoor channel a couple weeks back where this guy was bow hunting and he walked up on two bucks locked up and both deer were very near death. The guy that was hunting was able to contact the game warden and they were so wore out that the warden was able to approach them and saw off one of the horns. The deer came loose, got up and staggered away with thier tongues hanging out. It was the coolest thing because they were able to save both of these animals.

I've never seen this happen personally, but I have seen a few deer get caught in a fence where thier back legs got between the top two strands of wire when the deer jumped the fence and the wires twist up and snare them. Unfortunately we haven't been able to save any of these animals because they were already dead and half eaten by the time we found them. One of the deer was a buck that was about 120" and 3 1/2 yrs old
Old 10-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without knowing the whole story, I can't pass judgement on the guy. Heck, he happened to be in the right spot at the right time to witness something that most of us will never see. One buck was already dead, so you can bet that the other buck was near death too. So, cutting them free would not, without a doubt, save the other deer. In it's weekend state, it could've been coyote bait pretty easily, or just simply died of exhaustion later.
So, putting the 2nd buck down may have been the better thing to do at the time. Was it a "Great" hunt, maybe it was, without knowing the whole story, I don't know. Now he is selling the racks still attached, what's the big deal, guys sell all kinds of mounts all the time. If he can get $6000. for it, good for him.
This reminds of when a guy gets a deer that is near world record status and guys get jealous when they hear how much money he makes because he got lucky!!
Old 10-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree ! how do we know that those antler's are for real or not .I don't agree with his ethic's on taking such animal's .I guess if some fool want's to waist thier money like that they haven't thought too much about how easy it could be for someone to fake something like this.
As I would say ,more money than brain's.

nubo
Old 10-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Their are people who'll pay alot for bib buck mounts. $6000 isn't a strange or even high amount. I've seen people pay up to $18000 for a head. A deer that got hit by a car in southern Minnesota had offers of $20,000 before it had been mounted by the taxidermist. I'm sure not spending that but their are people who will!

good Luck!