Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help deciding on slugs

Old 09-28-2004, 07:51 PM

Default Help deciding on slugs

Got a 870 with a 24" slug barrel, rifled with rifle sights. Was looking today at slugs and there is some that is 10.97 for five (rem. copper solids) then you have some for 2.00 for five. I'll be hunting deer and feral hogs on a Army post here in Missouri. I've never hunted with slugs, always either my 30-30 or recently a .270 that I bought. Is the cheaper slugs allright for out 75-100 yards or should I buy the more expensive ones. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:22 PM

Default RE: Help deciding on slugs

You should shoot rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel the cheaper one are probley not rifled i shoot the remington copper solids out of my rem 1100 and they shoot great.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:27 PM

Rifled slugs (foster) have rifling cut into the slug. The are designed for smooth bores. Those are what you saw for two bucks. For a rifled bbl you need sabot slugs. The slug is encased in the plastic sabot down the bbl and then is discarded after leaving it. They are the ones that were expensive. But that is what you need for accurate shots out to 100 yds out of a rifled bbl. Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I found out that you must find the slug that works the best for your particular gun. I shoot a mossberg and found the winchester gold shoot the best pattern in that gun. I tryed a different slug and it was shooting 6 inches off. then I shot the winchester gold slugs in my remington and it shot terrible. Found another brand did better in the remington
Old 09-29-2004, 11:14 AM

Thats what i ment sabots out of a rifled barrel sorry didnt proof read my first post.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:23 AM

I concur that the Rem. copper solids shoot great out of a Rem 1100. Probably just as well out of an 870. It's best to try them first, but it's a good place to start.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:09 PM

I shoot Winchester Partition Gold slugs out of my Mossberg 500. These slugs perform great, I can shoot accuratly out to 200 yards with them, and when they hit something it doesnt go any further. They are up there as probaly the most expensive slugs around at $18 for 5, but they perform as good as some rifles. We have a lot of shotgun only areas in MD and with these slugs I can take most of the same shots that I take with my rifle.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:13 PM

Plumbob,

I've hunted with a Remington 870 with a rifled barrel for years (all with success). I shoot either Winchester Partition Gold or Remingtons; both are saboted bullets. You really do need to try at least five or six different brands and loads to find the combination that works the best for your shotgun. My experience has been that the cheaper slugs never work well for me, but that just might be my gun. Even if you're paying $10 or $12 for a box of five, that's still pretty cheap if your shooting accurately and can put a deer down with one shot.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

lefty 200 yards ? wow I've got a 500 too shoots great I am assuming that you have a rifled barrel maybe I should get one if I can get that kind of results too
Old 09-30-2004, 08:25 PM

If you really want to find what your gun likes the best go buy 3 boxes of partition gold's, lightfield hybred exp's and a few more and try them. Make sure you have a good good recoil pad on your gun cause you'll need it. I have a remington 870 special purpose slug and shoot the lightfiled hybred exp's in a 4" circle @ 100 yards from a bench rest. They are also as devasting as they are acurate.
http://www.larrywall.com/deer

Quick Reply: Help deciding on slugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.