Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Heater in a ground blind?

Old 09-27-2004, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Heater in a ground blind?

I am thinking about using a pop up ground blind this season. Has any one used one and have you been winded by the deer. I am going to take my 14 year old daughter with me and this is her first year out as a lic. hunter and I am trying to make this as enjoyable as I can.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:27 PM

Default RE: Heater in a ground blind?

When I was young and on my first hunt with my grandfather we hunted a old abandoned house on a lease. Though we were sheltered (somewhat) we still got cold. He told me to wear layers, that it would be cold, and when ever I was ready to go in we would go. He didn't force me stay out and be miserable. He slowly introduced me to what I would eventually be accustomed to. I thought this was great.

A few days later my uncle took me out. He showed me the latter stand I was to sit in then went on his way. His last words was "don't get down or leave until I come back." I froze my butt off and it was the most unbarable, horrible hunt. I still have those cold as you know what moments. But, now I know my limits.

I'm sure your daughter will have a great time, but as my grandfather would say "don't make her fish if the fish ain't bitin'." In other words when she stops enjoying it, stop hunting.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

This is a two fold problem. If I were to set up a two person stand around here someone would be more than happy to remove it for me. My daughter is a tough nugget but if I can make the experience more comfortable I will. Second I figured if I'm in a ground blind why not be comfortable.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is her first hunt and you should make it as comfortable for her as you can. i use a heater in a ground blind, also use one on my girlfriends ladder stand. i am not out there to make anyone miserable, if we/she gets a deer fine, if not, i just enjoy the moment. we both smoke so i don't worry about the scent thing either, just there to enjoy the day in the woods.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

its all about the wind, if the winds right/o.k. then it shouldn't be a problem, good luck and thank you for introducing another young person to what we all love, the great outdoors
Old 09-27-2004, 10:37 PM

p3fe i have a pop up ground blind and i love it. I also use a heater. but the one that i use makes no smoke or sound. What i use is a roll of toilet paper in a small size coffee can soaked in alcohol. It works great. And has no smell. I also take my daughter hunting and when they get cold they arent having fun.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gee like that toilet paper heater idea. Plus you can use the paper to wipe your butt and be sterile. Nothing like a clean butt
Old 09-28-2004, 05:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunt from a pop-up a lot ,
and they don't reccomend using a heater due to fire danger . Can you imagine yard after molten yard of nylon sticking to your skin while you scream ? Dress warmer or take them out during the early part of the season . Cold is part of hunting , they need to learn that .
Old 09-28-2004, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

good point Kevin I was wondering about a heater myself but no longer
Old 09-28-2004, 06:06 AM

I know guys that use heaters in pop-ups....they say its fine....just be sure to get the right one.....no flames or red hot radiant type heaters......Cabelas and T.S.C.,...have one called....MR. HEATER....its has low oxgen cut off switches and other safety stuff....its listed as safe in blinds...I'm gonna use one to take my 9 yr. old out in brickhouse house blind to video some......it just gets too cold here in Ohio too quick.......heck I can't draw a bow with 50 lbs. of clothes on much less hit anything if I could....I don't hunt here much after NOV.,...its too windy and cold......forget treestands you'll freeze solid to a tree....I only bow hunt so I need to be able to draw a bow back.........just be careful which heater you are looking at......p.s. my kid doesn't sit still while freezen his butt off doing nothing......it has to be comfortable and fun......heck I don't care if we shoot any....its about just being there and if we see anything thats icing on the cake......I smoke too and have stomped cigs out just in time to shoot a buck......really funny when that happens.......last time I panic drop the cig off my treestand......deer stoped and looked from 15 yds.,.....drew my bow and nailed him......too funny, I've done it form the ground too.

Quick Reply: Heater in a ground blind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.