Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter

Old 09-21-2004, 08:22 AM

Default New Hunter

Hey floks!
This is my first try at something like this. I'm trying to be a self-taught hunter, as I really haven't found anyone around me that hunts in my neck of the woods (Cumming, Ga.) I had always been a target/benchrest guy, but I received a deer rifle two years ago and I'm trying to learn how to be a hunter. I've watched all the Buckmaster programs and the like to the point my three and five yearold daughters know Ted Nugent on sight and sing the "Spirit of the Wild" theme song around the house, now, much to my wife's dismay. Anyone have any tips on solo hunting in the Wilson Shoals area? I'm wide open and eager.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Hunter

Eamont, welcome aboard but you sure ask alot in one question. I'm not familiar with your area at all. If you havn't done any scouting your going to have a questionable first season, but I seen alot of guys get nice bucks without having a bit of knowledge.
First thing I'd do is get me a satellite picture of the area your going to hunt. You can do this at terraserver.com. Once you get the satellite picture, look for some funnels to hunt. Funnels are narrow strips of woods or high bushes or something similar that connect bedding areas to feeding areas and visa versa. I'd then locate me a stand in the funnel. Bedding areas are usually thick cover or grown up fields, something where the deer can lay down and not be seen until somebody walks on them. Feeding areas change with the season. Persimmons and oaks with acorns are the going thing in the early season in the south. It's best not to hunt right in a bedding or feeding area because you'll spook too many deer but you can get them coming in and out. As far as stand placement, allow for the wind so you'll need a couple of locations that allow you set up with the wind so your scent doesn't blow over the deer or their trails. Starting out, I wouldn't worry about calls and all the lures and such. Wash your clothes in some good scent wash and maybe buy a cover scent, the dirt smell is good in the south. You can get it in a pin on wafer or a spray. Also, there's a bug spray called No stinking bugs that is a good bug spray and cover scent, again, I'd use the dirt smell version.
Learn all you can this first season, in regards to feeding, bedding, etc., and when the season is over do some serious scouting for next year. Too much scouting now will simply run the big boys away so do what you can without being too evasive on the deer.
Good luck to you and let us know how you do and post pictures when you get one. Don't hesitate to ask questions. I will add one point, the guys on this board are for the most part ethical, quality deer hunters. There glad to help anybody that's sincerely trying to pick up the art of deer hunting.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the tips. This is my first try going solo. The only other time I hunted was on a private club as a guest. They had a rule that charged you $1000.00 if you shot any buck under 140. I din't see many deer, and I was terrified to pull the trigger on one for fear of the fine. The place I'm hunting is about 2500 acres of hardwoods and creek beds. This is Wilson Shoals WMA. I'm tempted to try a pop-up blind, as I'm leery of trying to get up in a tree with a stand if I'm the only one around. Thanks for the satllite map tip. I had no idea that stuff was out there. I appreciate it very much. I'm going to do a little scouting this thursday & friday to see what's the deal on site selection. Take care, Ed.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:39 PM

Hey Welcome! I know exactly what it's like to be a self taught hunter! And I'm always learning! You said that you recieved a deer rifle? There's a GREAT book that you must read; it's called Bowhunting Pressured Bucks. BUY IT! I know your not bowhunting, but when you apply these principles to gun hunting, you will have learning at least a decade of experience. It has really made me look at hunting in a whole different light. I apply these principles to bowhunting and gun hunting and I've seen greater success! Pay special attention to scent. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey eamont, welcome, first i'd say read and study as much as possible, then i'd say join a club, it dosen't have to be a trophy club, cause the first one you kill will be trophy enough, in this club find someone who has killed a few deer, they'll probably be more than happy to help you out, tell them you'd just like to get a shot or see some animals if your in a nonproductive area, be cautious of the person who has not killed anything more than yourself, deer clubs and camps are useally full of them, this person may not give you very reliable info and will want to know everything you did (saw).

best of luck, georgia offers some really good hunting, put yourself into it
Old 09-22-2004, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

iwelcome to the greta world of hunting.....i cant add to the advice that has beenn given, just enjoy yourself out there, spend alot of time in the wods, the more you know what you are looking at, the more you'lll enjoy the woods...
Old 09-22-2004, 07:12 AM

Welcome - fellow Georgian. My advise is to find a white oak that is dropping acorns and get next to it. I would also suggest getting a climbing stand if you think you will hunt much. They are not that expensive and are very safe. Good luck.