HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Hunter
Thread: New Hunter
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004, 11:28 AM
rockytop
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Hunter

Eamont, welcome aboard but you sure ask alot in one question. I'm not familiar with your area at all. If you havn't done any scouting your going to have a questionable first season, but I seen alot of guys get nice bucks without having a bit of knowledge.
First thing I'd do is get me a satellite picture of the area your going to hunt. You can do this at terraserver.com. Once you get the satellite picture, look for some funnels to hunt. Funnels are narrow strips of woods or high bushes or something similar that connect bedding areas to feeding areas and visa versa. I'd then locate me a stand in the funnel. Bedding areas are usually thick cover or grown up fields, something where the deer can lay down and not be seen until somebody walks on them. Feeding areas change with the season. Persimmons and oaks with acorns are the going thing in the early season in the south. It's best not to hunt right in a bedding or feeding area because you'll spook too many deer but you can get them coming in and out. As far as stand placement, allow for the wind so you'll need a couple of locations that allow you set up with the wind so your scent doesn't blow over the deer or their trails. Starting out, I wouldn't worry about calls and all the lures and such. Wash your clothes in some good scent wash and maybe buy a cover scent, the dirt smell is good in the south. You can get it in a pin on wafer or a spray. Also, there's a bug spray called No stinking bugs that is a good bug spray and cover scent, again, I'd use the dirt smell version.
Learn all you can this first season, in regards to feeding, bedding, etc., and when the season is over do some serious scouting for next year. Too much scouting now will simply run the big boys away so do what you can without being too evasive on the deer.
Good luck to you and let us know how you do and post pictures when you get one. Don't hesitate to ask questions. I will add one point, the guys on this board are for the most part ethical, quality deer hunters. There glad to help anybody that's sincerely trying to pick up the art of deer hunting.