Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Questions for hunting/traveling in Canada >

Questions for hunting/traveling in Canada

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Questions for hunting/traveling in Canada

Old 09-19-2004, 03:57 PM

Default Questions for hunting/traveling in Canada

I am going whitetail hunting in Alberta in Nov. with a friend that lives there. He is getting a Host hunter license so I don't have to go thru an outfitter so there are alot of things that we don't know about that an outfitter would tell you. I read in another post that I need to register my gun with US Customs before I leave. As I am flying, will this be done automatically at the departure airport or does this need to be taken care of beforehand? I think I understand the procedure that takes place in Canada once I arrive. I already have the proper papers to fill out for the gun import. Is there any other things that one would need to know before going and what is involved in the return trip with the US officials? Also, what is involved in getting a deer mount shipped back to the States?
Old 09-19-2004, 11:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Questions for hunting/traveling in Canada

you might get more replies if you changed your namej/k, i've never gun hunted, only archery, but a freind of mine had his gun shipped to and from, i don't know if this is common but its what he did, on getting your trophy back we used plastic totes and a lot of duck tape, at the airport we reported the kill, and you inform them your taking hide,head and horns, there is a charge for this i think it was 50$, we flew into winnipeg, manatoba and we did not have any problems, again though we were bow hunting, best of luck.....

ps call customs in advance they'll give you the low down, and of corse you'll need an airline approved gun case, just a few things that come to mind
Old 09-20-2004, 07:37 AM

Gordonfan
I'd suggest you go to the Canadian Firearms Centre web site. The provisions for U.S. citizens bringing in firearms are set out there. If still not clear or you have any questions you can telephone them. gg.

http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/en/visitors/default.asp
Old 09-20-2004, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get ahold of Clint BEardy...........he will help you out [email protected] and you can check the site address below.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

Check the regulations...it says a bunch about importing/exporting of game to the US. With the beef ban some stuff is pretty important to read. Hope this helps!

http://www3.gov.ab.ca/srd/fw/hunting/index.html

JDinAB
Old 09-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

gordanfan, you need to register you guns in the usa so you don't have any problem bringing them back into the usa. Once they are register you don't have to do it again.
We did ours the first year we when moose hunting but we did it at us customs at the border .Contact the us custom and they can direct you as to getting your guns register.
If you have your canadian paper work done ahead of time usually it's just a quick check to see the serial numbers match. Also make sure you have gun locks on all you guns.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

I have never registered my firearms per sey in the US. When you check in your firearm(s) with the airline, they will check to see if it is unloaded and will make you sign a waiver saying so and also have you place a bright orange tag in the gun case that reads....."UNLOADED FIREARM". Make sure your firearm/ammunition is in a FAA approved container. I fly with Americase flight cases and they pass the test.

As already stated, have your Canadian paper work already filled out...ie make/action/serial # but do not sign it until you are asked to do so in front of the Canadian Customs officer. The price to bring a gun in is about $25-30 american $$$ and it's good for I think 6 weeks and you can file an exstension.
Usually on the flight back home I will not see my guns until my final destination, they must go right through Customs

Hope this helps, doubleA
Old 09-21-2004, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you have a serious attachment to your own gun, or don't have a guide or friend that can loan you one, I would just borrow one once you get there. Makes it a lot simpler.