Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cross the Saddle?

Old 09-14-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Cross the Saddle?

I have scouted a good looking saddle that I'd like to hunt on our lease. The problem is that I need to set up on the far side. Will I ruin a good set up by crossing the trail that goes through the middle? How long will my scent be in the area? Coming in a different way is only an option for the afternoon/evening hunt so I'll have plenty of time to hike the extra couple of miles.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:08 PM

Default RE: Cross the Saddle?

I'd cross over closer to the summit or further up the ridge rather then through the saddle you hunt. If you a scent freek and you take every precaution you may get away with it but if you can avoid it I would.

Why do you have to set up on the other side of the saddle? Prevailing winds or tree limitations? Just curious.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:28 PM

Default RE: Cross the Saddle?

This particular saddle is a low spot on a ridge- basically an easier way for deer to get to the other side. If I set up on the near side the prevailing winds will take my scent into their path. If I set up on the far side they will turn and enter the saddle before my scent will be in their noses.