Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best part of hunting...

Old 09-11-2004, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best part of hunting...

ORIGINAL: charlie brown

Getting away from civilization and being alone with nature and God. I also hunt solo most of the time. This gives me time to relax and be thankful for the things that we often take for granted every day.
Yes, CB it is a wondrous world we live in, but most don't take the time to appreciate it. I think that's why hunters bond so quickly.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have this ritual I guess if you want to call it that, that I go through at the beginning of every season. Opening morning after I'm in my stand I take time to say a prayer thanking God for my family, my health and letting me live another year so I can continue to enjoy his great works. I'm also thankful for the brave men and women in our Armed Services. I just sit back and enjoy the sun rise, the smell of the dew lifting from the autumn leaves, the critters in the woods going about their daily routines and think about how we're all so blessed to live in this great country. I usually don't get too serious about shooting a deer until the 2nd or 3rd time out.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:35 PM

What I love most about hunting is being outdoors (I'm a career desk-jockey), but more than that, it's having all my senses tuned back in.

I spend so much time tuning things out--noise, visual distractions, unpleasant smells, etc. etc. I think a lot of people do the same.

But hunting, everything is back on. I really get a chance to listen to everything, and see as much as I can, and really pay attention to what's going on around me. It's just wonderful, and I mean that literally. I am full of wonder at the beauty, complexity, and variety of the natural world.

As far as killing goes, I admit to getting that weird feeling that a lot of hunters get, a mixture of thrill and sadness. It's an accomplishment to kill a bird/hog/whatever, but I can't help but feel a little sadness at the deliberate death of something.

But death is a part of life, and I can't be tuned in to the life around me without having that part of it, too. So it's okay.

Coming home safe and exhausted after a long day out in the field; I'm a fortunate man indeed when I can do that.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:46 AM

I just like to be out in the woods or cattails knowing that im doing something that i love to do
Old 09-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

For me its the thrill of the chase. I hunt an animal I have been scouting and seeing all year, sometimes for several years. Letting pope and young bucks walk by never knowing I was even there, knowing that most hunters will never even kill a buck like the one I just let walk. Once I finally get the slob Im after, I just hang him on the wall, and move on to the next buck. To me, thats hunting.......The chase.

Here is a pic of me passing on a 140 class buck taken out of my video footage. The feeling is greater to me than if I had shot it... just knowing I could, but didn't. Another year and this guy will be a true shooter.

Old 09-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just the time of year and getting together with old friends. My wife hunts with me. Another good thing. There are no Ticks in the Dakotas in November. That is not unless they are wearing overcoats and electric underwear. We have a lot of hard freezes by deer season although the weather is usually pretty mild during the season. It can be 70 above to 20 below zero. The muzzle loader season starts in early December after the rifle season its usuall quite cold by then. We hunt in both South and North Dakota. The coldest opening morning that I recall was about 12 years ago when it was 17 below with 15 inches of new snow.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:53 AM

The anticipation and excitement that comes with each new season. The solitude and stress relief that's achieved on stand. No phones, televisions, employees, problems, etc.
The natural beauty in my surroundings. The quality time I spend with family and friends. And above all, reliving the experience each time I bite into a tender backstrap!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:28 AM

Two things - sitting in the peace and quiet watching nature in realtime. Summer is over so its now cool nights and the beginning of college football season.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:38 AM

Just being out in the woods enjoying nature and if I score so much the better but I dont have to I still enjoy being out!
Old 09-17-2004, 12:03 PM

I love just sitting out there and enjoying nature.Listening to the birds and hopefuly the slow hoofbeat of an approaching buck is realy realy nice.And is it just me but for some reason I realy love bad weather.I mean I`ll sit out there in freezing rain and still have a great time deer or not.

Quick Reply: Best part of hunting...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.