Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Are you getting tired of gimicks ? >

Are you getting tired of gimicks ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are you getting tired of gimicks ?

Old 09-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Are you getting tired of gimicks ?

Some new products are very helpful. But, man there is so much stuff on the market it's mind boggeling ! I don't know how I ever managed to kill deer 50 yrs ago without it !
Never used a tree stand then, just put a sandwich in my pocket,grabbed my rifle and hunted all day just slipping around through the timber or watching a crossing for a while.
Now I saw an ad for oderless gun spray ? Where is this going to end ? Shoot , I'f I carried all the stuff I'm supposed to have to get a deer now, I would need a pack mule to haul it !
What do you guys take in the woods for an all day hunt, not just sit in a tree stand.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Are you getting tired of gimicks ?

im sure youve heard the saying: fishing lures catch more fishermen than fish

when i first started bowhunting, i was the "gadget man". after finding out that i dont need most of the stuff, its been a few years since ive bought something that i "just have to try"
Old 09-04-2004, 04:37 PM

Ben Lee once made the statement that to remain in business, hunting gear companies would have to come out with a new gimic atleast every two (2) years and those gimics would have to sell.Why do those gimics sell? Because the sportsmen will but them!!!!
Rifle w/3 bullets, knife and 8x binoculars is all I use to take deer. No treestand or ScentLock, just the wind in my face....Gimic free....
Old 09-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

i hunt the old way pretty much...and im 17 the gimicks are meant to catch people like me...young and dumb....but why buy things that arent needed? i carry my gun...few extra shells..knife..drag rope...minimag lite...leatherman wave...water...snacks and a sandwhich or 2 depending on how long i plan to stay...i do have a hyrdation pack....them are the best thing ever made if you do any walking...and i walk ALOT...i hate fumbling around finding your water bottle then opening it....the hyration pack is nice....i can keep on walkin and not make a noise or move much....and it holds everything else i carry.....oh ya...after imade a bad hit on a doe once i carry flagging tape now...you should seen me...i was dang near naked by the time i was done...all my clothes n such were hanging from tree limbs along the little bit of blood i found....i dont even use a tree stand....MIGHT this year...since my buddy allows me on his farm and theres some decint stand locations i can use.....i dont carry much....and dont fall into the gimicks...what i have i use....i also carry a lighter and TP ust in case they are needed..rather have it then need it and wish i had it!.....
Old 09-04-2004, 05:07 PM

i don't carry much. some snacks, gun, couple of shells,compass, somtimes a soda. that is what i bring while hunting on the ground or still hunting.

when i plan to hunt from a treestand i bring the tree stand, safety harness, gun, shells, snacks, a hunting mag. or two,and sometimes a sport blanket for when it is going to be really cold. this helps me stay comfy and warm, or i can use it as a gun rest or as a pillow. and when the wind is howling i will put it on the inside of my parka and tuck my arms in. smartest thing i ever brought to stand other then my gun...