Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Waiting, How long after shot?

Old 01-06-2002, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default Waiting, How long after shot?

Once you shot a deer, what is most responsible. Wait before tracking the animal or approach quickly and be prepared to make another shot to minimize suffering. I thought you should wait 30 minutes before approaching but an experienced hunter on my lease says "only wait" when bow hunting.
Old 01-06-2002, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Waiting, How long after shot?

This will probably turn into a hot one, but here is my thoughts on it. Since I only bowhunt, that is where my opinions are aimed. If you positively, absolutely are sure that you have double lunged your deer, it will be down and out before you can get your safety belt unhooked. If you are unsure of the hit, or are sure that it is a less than perfect hit, a wait is in order. Depending where the hit is, would determine the amount of wait. A gutshot would be at least an eight hour wait, in my book.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Every animal I have taken over the last several years has dropped within sight so I have just walked up to them with no waiting necessary.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

i think it entirely depends on where or how good you hit it.a good solid vital zone hit means minamal wait,the time it takes to get out of your stand.a bad hit,only one lung etc may require an hour or more wait.unless you see him thrashing or at least can hear him thrashing on the ground,a quick killing shot is in order.a gut shot means a good long all day wait.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:01 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Once you shot a deer, what is most responsible. Wait before tracking the animal or approach quickly and be prepared to make another shot to minimize suffering. I thought you should wait 30 minutes before approaching but an experienced hunter on my lease says &quot;only wait&quot; when bow hunting.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 01-06-2002, 06:14 PM

Boy thats twice i screwed up sorry .i'm new to this.Getting back to your question.I have to agree with Big country.When you are not sure wait.I do a lot of bow hunting and rifle along with muzzle loading.Every time i shoot with whatever you have to think wait or not to wait.when in doubt wait.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually wait a few minutes and catch my breath....LOL
Old 01-07-2002, 05:14 AM

I usually drink a cup of coffee and wait ten minutes then I go get it, but it depends how many hunters are around if there are a lot around I will go after it right away.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:51 AM

Depends on many factors, if your bow hunting and your sure that it's a lethal shot then I'd wait at least 30 min. If your gun hunting and you know that it's also a fatal shot then I will get down immediately. Especially if I see the deer go down.

If the deer runs after the shot (w/gun), sit and listen. Usually, you can hear the erratic running through the woods and sometimes you can hear them go down. When you approach the deer, carefully check to make sure it's dead. Usually the eyes will be open and motionless.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

What smokpole said, the buck I killed this year I waited long enough to chamber another round and put the safety on, why? I knocked the deer flat, it never even kicked. I still approached it with caution however.

The Tazman

Quick Reply: Waiting, How long after shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.