Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

setting up a feeder

Old 09-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default setting up a feeder

new to feeders, how far do you place them from your treestands, locate them near trails, what do you set the timers to, do you have your cams near the feeders or on the trails leading in and out of the area. oh, and how about mineral blocks, near the feeders? thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 09:29 PM

Default RE: setting up a feeder

I prefer feeders at least 75 yards away, 125 is better. The farther away you are, the more likely the deer will follow their normal activities. Put them along a trail if you want, but deer will find their way to the feeders regardless. Try to set your feeder near (5 to 10 yards) cover, mature deer are more comfortable with that sort of setup. Place your stands according to the prevailing winds during your season, never a bad idea to have at least one alternate location so you can use the wind to your advantage. Try hunting the trails that lead to the feeder, rather than concentrating on just the feeder.
My timers are set to feed twice a day for three or four seconds during the season. First feed is about 20 to 30 minutes before sunrise, and last feed is about an hour and a half before sunset. Mineral blocks are not a big attractant where I hunt, feed blocks with corn and molasses work better.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:54 AM

I agree with Charley on distance etc.

A couple other ideas. Don't set the timer to broadcast too much corn. 4 or 5 seconds will be enough. If it throws to much corn it will not be eaten quickly and you will have your Deer and Pigs thinking they can come by any old time. Also think about your prevailing wind direction and use that information when setting up your feeder. Alway place your feeder so your rounds shoot onto your land never acroos a fence to another property.

I have found that the bigger Bucks rarely even go to the feeder but are smart and will check them out from afar to see if any does are hanging around. So maybe even place your feeder 20yards or so off a path where you see alot of traffic. I have one of mine about 30yards from a great funnel with some nice scrapes.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:50 AM

I'm with Georgetownboys on the buck theory. I try to hunt trails coming into the feeder if I'm bow hunting or looking for a larger buck. I look for staging areas where the does are concentrating before they come in and that's where you'll find that buck. He'll be tagging along, working the fringe trying to get lucky!

If I'm meat hunting with a gun, I set up on the feeder itself. Usually between 50-100 yards away depending on wind and cover.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the information guys, woods are still pretty thick for me to set it up right now, but will keep all this info in mind. thanks again,.