Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best rifle for my wife?

Old 08-31-2004, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Best rifle for my wife?

She can shoot her 30/30 with 170grain bullets with no problem. She can shoot my Mauser .243 but the gun is heavy with wood stock and bull barrel and all.

In NC you have to use something at least .243 or larger.
What would be a good rifle for her that isn't heavy and doesn't kick?
Old 08-31-2004, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best rifle for my wife?

farmcntry....i may be wrong but i wasn't aware that there was any restrictions on caliber for deer in NC. Although i don't agree i do know several guys here that use a 223 and one guy who has head shot several does with a 22-250. As you mentioned and for me personally i wouldn't use anything smaller than a 243 for deer and it's very lethal when the right bullet is used. Myself and my 14yr old son uses a 25.06 and although my wife doesn't hunt she does shoot it off the bench and has no problems at all with recoil and accuracy with that caliber. The 25.06 is deer poison around here and does an excellent job for us on deer from close range out to as far as you want to shoot them. If i were to go buy my wife a rifle i would look hard at the 25.06 but there are two more excellent calibers that i would also look at. The 7mm-08 which is another mild recoiling caliber would be an excellent choice as would the 260 rem but ammo for that caliber is getting scarce unless you reload. If she's already shooting a 30-30 with a 170grn pill then she should be able to handle any of those mentioned and handle them well. Your fortunate that your wife likes to hunt i wish mine did. My wife loves to shoot guns of any kind period but doesn't want to hunt so if i could just figure out how to get her hunting i'd be a happy man.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

so if i could just figure out how to get her hunting i'd be a happy man.
Find some women who like to hunt and she'll be hooked.
After the gathering in the south where my wife "Dream" on here, met Deerhuntress56 and Annie Oakley, who hunt, she was hooked.

Thanks for the info. I like the 7mm-08 and may have to check in that option.

Oh and in NC legally it has to be .243 or larger to hunt deer.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:57 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-31-2004, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Will do ifferd, and where in the heck have you been bud?
Nice to see ya on here again.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the tip, maybe i can round up some local gals that like to hunt and get my wife involved. She's starting to take some interest in archery and i hope she likes it as much as shooting guns.

Oh and in NC legally it has to be .243 or larger to hunt deer.
About the caliber regs. I called (1-919-733-3391) just to be sure because i do know guys personally that use a 223 for deer hunting here and i'd hate to know they were doing so illegally. According to the nc wildlife commission regs and the folks i spoke with there is no min caliber for deer in NC. It is illegal to use a rimfire but a centerfire of any caliber can be used.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

According to the nc wildlife commission regs and the folks i spoke with there is no min caliber for deer in NC. It is illegal to use a rimfire but a centerfire of any caliber can be used.
Man thanks for the info. The GW around here was where I got my info from, but they ain't always right.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

farmcntry, I would have to put my vote in for the Browning a-bolt micro hunter in .270. These are smaller guns, although they can be easily handled by an adult. In fact I just bought my father one so he could pack it in his backpack while he is walking through the mountains. They have little kick to them and the .270 is one of the best deer calibers on the planet IMHO. It just seems like the perfect package for a woman to hunt with. I would deffinately check one out to see what you think.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:18 AM
Dominant Buck

The title mislead me ! [:@]
I've seen her and I wouldn't have given you better than a .270 in trade ... How about a nice bow ? Couple of kegs ?
Old 08-31-2004, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Bear but hmm, I have a limited budget as well.

Kevin, do you want to become a target? Don't make me unleash her on ya.

Quick Reply: Best rifle for my wife?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.