Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

tips for a first-timer?

Old 08-25-2004, 12:59 PM

Default RE: tips for a first-timer?

Speyrjb. . . .I hunt just south of Brady. . I sent a reply to your private note but guess it has not made it to you. I think I am gonna put our new PITA friend on my block list. You should read some of the whitty things this person has posted today.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I saw the posts from Mia today. Probably some kid posting messages while at school. Mia needs to pay more attention in English class....

Yeah I got your PM. I was trying to figure out where that was. I'm not familiar with Brady.

My lease is in Horseshoe bay due west of Austin. I turn off 35 onto 29 in Georgetown. My lease is off of 71 though.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:10 PM

Hope you bag a big one. Dont let anybody discourage what you are doing when it comes to hunting by a feeder. Its your first time out...enjoy it.....heck...thats more times than me when it comes to deer hunting...d
Old 08-25-2004, 01:51 PM

Post some pics of your kills Mia. We would all love to see how successful you are at "real hunting".
Boogers don't count
Old 08-25-2004, 03:45 PM

Moose- sounds like you are all set. When I shot my first Texas whitetail (Edwards County) I felt guilty about taking it at a feeder. But the more I discover about Texas hunting the more I learn that hunting is very different here. With 93% of the land privately owned everyone does what they can to make sure more deer stay on their "rented" piece of land. Most hunters don't see it as baiting in Texas- to us it's supplemental feeding and it increases the odds of us seeing deer. Now that I am not a rookie anymore I am concentrating on hunting the more traditional techniques (trails, river bottoms, groves, funnels, etc.) Don't listen to negative comments. He is obviously not from Texas and has no idea what it's like to hunt here. Enjoy your hunt, it's still a thrill. Once you get your first one you will probably start looking for a lease of your own. Then you can decide whether supplemental feeding is ethical or not.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:32 PM

Sounds like mia is on the wrong message board. I hunt elk and mule deer in Colorado where we cannot bait. I spot/and stalk. I grew up hunting in Wisconson and own a cabin there and baited until they recently changed the baiting laws. Enjoy the hunt and ignore opinionated pimples. Look into a muzzle break. I added one to my .300 Win Mag and did not lose any accuracy and my wife could shoot it now.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. And thanks, too, for not letting a nitwit highjack the thread.

The tip about wind direction was good--I hadn't thought of that.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:29 PM

well all i have to say as when u get up in the stand and that buck walks up all u have to do is invision a target it will be just the same and prob make it easer and im sure u will feel like a real hunter
Old 08-30-2004, 06:57 AM

I was at the rifle range over the weekend, and was able to shoot consistent 3" 3-shot groups at 100 yards, with both the Remington and a 30-30. It was my first time shooting both rifles.

I'll practice some more before opening day, but is my accuracy pretty good so far?

Thanks again...
Old 08-30-2004, 01:17 PM

JMO. . .but as long as you double your shot grouping for your real shot, 6 inches, then looks like your good out to about 100 yards right now. You have an area about the size of a dinner plate to insure a fast humane shot.

60 days until I can sit with my boys for youths opening weekend. I have to wait one week longer.[:@]

Quick Reply: tips for a first-timer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.