Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

tips for a first-timer?

Old 08-25-2004, 09:33 AM

Default tips for a first-timer?

I've booked my first-ever deer hunt for this fall, for opening day here in Texas (November 6th). I found a day lease, explaining to them that I'm a first-timer for deer, though I've hunted hogs a couple of times and done a fair amount of bird hunting. Oh...I'm in my mid-40's, by the way.

The hunt will be from a stand; the deer will be coming to feeders (not only legal here in Texas but the most common method, I understand).

I won't have a guide, but the leaseholders have offered to help me with gutting & butchering. (They're really nice about it, in fact.)

For artillery, I've got an old Remington 742 carbine in .30-06 with a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 that I bought in a pawnshop for next to nothing. It shoots like a dream, though it's got a muzzle blast that registers on the Richter scale.

Aside from the obvious things like practicing with the rifle, and observing safety precautions, can anyone offer any helpful tips?

Thanks...I'm really looking forward to this hunt, though I'm not quite sure what to expect!
Old 08-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: tips for a first-timer?

Sounds to me like you have the bases covered pretty well. I have only hunted Black Bear and Moose from a stand but uit should be about the same. If you have a choice of stands just watch your wind direction and wait for your shot. I had a pump carbine in that caliber and your right the muzzle blast is fierce.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:03 AM

Moose-maximus . . . . I live and hunt in the Texas Hill country using both ground and tower style blinds. Scent control is still REAL important. Plus if that blind has been in it's location for a while some of the older Bucks and Does know to look in your windows and will circle around and try to sniff you out. the wind comes out of the south 80% or more of the time. If you have a choice select a blind on the north side of a feeder.

What county will you hunt in? Some counties are 5 Deer counties so you can let a few walk before shooting.

I'll be out the weekend before with my boys, youth season gets a 1 weekend head start, so i hope at least one of the two boys bags a big buck. They each got there first buck and does last year but the bucks where young 8pts. this year they will have to follow the ranch rules and take only the bigger bucks, does and all the pigs you can find.

65 days and counting.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:11 PM

u shoot them when they come to the feeder thats sad why dont you do some real hunting u know where u hunt them no have them come up and let u shoot them
Old 08-25-2004, 12:25 PM

Dear Mia_hia it is clear you are young and or still perhaps learning to read and write. Before you start judging how other folks hunt perhaps you should walk a mile in their shoes. Come to Texas and bring your smart self and show us how you think it should be done.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:27 PM

u shoot them when they come to the feeder thats sad why dont you do some real hunting u know where u hunt them no have them come up and let u shoot them
You're not by chance a Card carring peta supporter are you?

Although I don't hunt over bait it is legal to do so in TX and a common practice. Positive, constructive post are appreciated
Old 08-25-2004, 12:34 PM

MIA...Moose came here asking for ideas and any help he could get. Nobody here needs a smart a$$ response. If you can't say anything good, don't say anything.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Moose,

Where at in Texas is the day lease?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:47 PM

HUNT
To pursue (game) for food or sport.
To search through (an area) for prey: hunted the ridges.
To make use of (hounds, for example) in pursuing game.
To pursue intensively so as to capture or kill: hunted down the escaped convict.
To seek out; search for.

yea i do hunt a bit diff i walk around the and hunt them not wait for them to walk up to my food i put out for them and i could shoot targets if i wanted to do that if u want to give him real help teach him to do some real hunting
Old 08-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Post some pics of your kills Mia. We would all love to see how successful you are at "real hunting".

Quick Reply: tips for a first-timer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.