Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent on Boots

Old 08-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scent on Boots

I have just purchased a set of boots (LaCrosse) and the uppers are 100% Condura and the bottoms are rubber. Does the Condura hold scent like a leather/material boot or is it similar to rubber and the scent cannot get into them?
Old 08-24-2004, 12:24 PM

Default RE: Scent on Boots

I have a pair of LaCrosse Snake Boots built the same way. I really don't know if they hold scent or not. I always make a point of spraying them down with a scent eliminator before and after each hunt just to make sure. I have had deer walk right over my tracks and not react so I guess they work out ok.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: davidw

I have a pair of LaCrosse Snake Boots built the same way. I really don't know if they hold scent or not. I always make a point of spraying them down with a scent eliminator before and after each hunt just to make sure. I have had deer walk right over my tracks and not react so I guess they work out ok.
Same here ,
plus I walk through mud every chance I get .
Old 08-24-2004, 12:41 PM

The mud is a good idea, I never thought about that. I do rub crushed pine needles on them when hunting pine thickets. Being in GA we DO have plenty of mud.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I walk in deer poop whenever i see sum, great cover scent!
Old 08-25-2004, 12:51 PM

i just let them sit out in the barn all year i cover the tops so nothign gets in them and then the cows just do there #1 and #2 on them and what ever and then i only take them out to hunt works like a charm
Old 08-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off it's not true that scent doesn't get into rubber, rubber can hold scent VERY strongly, however it's just not as prone to picking up scents and it doesn't put them off as strongly....(some rubbers, not used in boots, can have VERY VERY strong scent absorbing properties)

I usually silicone spray any of my codura stuff to make it a little more scent proof and more water proof, but I ALWAYS spray my boots with a scent killer before hunting, like after I get out of the truck and spray up, I leave a bar of scent eliminating soap in them usually too during lay times....I also spray the bottoms with doe or coon urine (scent) to help hide my odor before walking in. It seems to work, last season I was sitting in a ground blind with my legs kicked up on a tree just outside it, fell asleep and woke up to a 6pt grapefruit licking the sole of my boot!!! (code blue: doe in heat)
Old 08-26-2004, 06:41 PM

i'm livin in martinez right now davidw. moved down from illinois. don't know much about the area. i'd like to chat with ya sometime. CH