Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Salt lick questions

Old 07-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Salt lick questions

I am considering putting out a salt lick. It is a 50 pound block of white salt, I have never done this before so here are the preliminary questions.

1. How long will this last?

2. Where should I locate it?

3. Would it be a good idea to dig a hole to where the top it is at ground level?
Old 07-26-2004, 10:06 AM

Default RE: Salt lick questions

Hey Taz,

Ive used a bunch of them, the best success ive had is to dig the ground up pretty good say 5-6 ft diameter, bust the block in half, then bust one of the halves into small pieces and mix it in with the dirt and put a gallon or two of water on it and leave the other half, half way burried, put it near a creek 50 or so yards is where i have best luck, any more??? let me know, add some deer cocaine to it, trust me it helps
Old 07-26-2004, 10:08 AM

1 It depends on how much use it gets and how much rain you get. If it is sitting in a low spot that holds water it can disolve pretty quick. But don't worry the deer will still lick at the dirt.

2 Locate it someplace that has good deer traffic, it's not going to pull them from miles away. And if you can put it close to water that's good to, they will go from the salt to drink.

3 No need to bury it.

But better than just a salt block is a mineral lick. I use 1 part rock salt 1 part di calcium phosphate, and 2 parts red trace mineral salt. Get the ingrediants in 50lb sacks at the local feed store. So end up with about 200lbs of mineral for about $25
Old 07-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Okay so my basic idea sounds good, I was going to dig the block down about ground level, rack the area up around it and mix in a 5 pound bag of salt, but I will do what you suggest instead.

Now where I was going to put it is going to be near a stream, would you say that soil that stays moist most of the time is better? Should I put it in the trail or off to one side? If off to the side how far? Can they smell it, another words how will they find it?
Old 07-26-2004, 10:42 AM

put it to the side a few feet and yes they can smell it big time
Old 07-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well it sounds like I have a darn good spot I can put it in, about 20 yards from a pond and stream within 20 foot of several heavily used trails. The only thing that worries me is that I won't be able to hunt the area until the block is gone, hopefully it will be close to gone by Oct. when bow opens.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:58 AM

Taz bust half the block up and put water on it so it will absorb in the ground if the other half is still there take it up 10 days before season opens it is legal
Old 07-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I take a 50-50 mixture of trace mineral salt and di-cal and dig it in a hole about 3 foot diameter and mix with the dirt, preferably a red clay area.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:28 PM

If your deer are like mine if its there they will use it. It should last a few month especially if it's mixed with the ground We've seen deer licking salt out of our cattle troughs. Don't worry just put it out Also it may take a week or two for them to start using it well
Old 07-27-2004, 03:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for all the advise folks, of course it was raining when I got home yesterday so I couldn't put it out! Last time I went down in there it took a tractor to pull my truck out!!! I will wait until it drys out some and let you know how it works out! It should be fun luggin a 50 pound block of salt, shovel, rake, bucket and a 5 pound bag of salt back in there!!!!!

Quick Reply: Salt lick questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.