Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Who has used Sierra Game King BTSP? >

Who has used Sierra Game King BTSP?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who has used Sierra Game King BTSP?

Old 07-26-2004, 08:12 AM

Default Who has used Sierra Game King BTSP?

If you have shot deer using the Sierra Game King BTSP bullet, please let me know what you think of that particular bullet and its' performance on deer.
Thanks
Old 07-26-2004, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who has used Sierra Game King BTSP?

brother hal,

I've been using the Sierra Game King (BTSP) for several years. I've taken whitetail in Georgia from 10 yds out to 200 yds, hogs up close and never had a problem with them. I shot a mule deer in Co. last year at approximately 200 yds and he droped where he stood. Most of mine have been taken with a 30-06, 7mm-08, and some with a 243.

dog1
Old 07-26-2004, 10:02 AM

I think personally they suck big time, if the bullet doesnt hit bone it will not fragment at all and you have a hole the size of a dime going in and coming out, all the deer i have shot behind the shoulder and not in the shoulder ran a long ways with very little blood trail, I switched to the hornady innerbond bullett, it is awesome, my 2 cents
Old 07-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I started shooting the Sierra Game King BTSP in Hornady brass last year. Using a sako .270. I am thoroughly impressed with the loads. I took 4 whitetail 1 muley buck and 1 cow and 1 bull elk. All dropped in their tracks. I was shooting core-lokts until I decided I needed something new for elk hunting. ( I had never been) Thats when some friends of mine at my local gunsmith turned me onto them. They are great, alittle pricey but well worth it.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

It will work fine, I have a buddy who use 165gr BTSP Game King for all his hunting and never had problems or complaints in any regard. Personally for deer I favor the Ballistic Tip style bullets, they have always worked excellent and beat out the game king in accuracy in my rifles.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think personally they suck big time, if the bullet doesnt hit bone it will not fragment at all and you have a hole the size of a dime going in and coming out
Are you sure that you are thinking of the same bullet? I have some of these for a 25-06 and they are just a pretty straight foward lead tipped soft nosed bullet. In fact the only knock I have heard on them is that they can be too fragile. But the type of performance you are describing sounds TOO tough. Almost like a FMJ. I can't see any reason a Sierra Gameking wouldn't expand on a deer sized animal.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

That's my bullet of choice. I shoot 130 grains for antelope, deer, and elk. Have killed 7 deer, 3 antelope, and one elk with the bullet. I do some hunting out on the plains, where distances and crosswinds are both major factors, and the Sierra boattail outperforms every other bullet - bonded or whatever - in "wind shedding" characteristics and in trajectory (although this second category is close). You do need to exercise some care with it however, as it will indeed blow up on you in the wrong situation.

For elk, which I mainly bowhunt anyway, I use bowhunting-type rules as far as shooting angles. I absolutely will not take running shots or backend shots or front-on shots, standing broadsides only. You don't want to tangle with the shoulder bone of an elk with this bullet. For deer or antelope within say 80 yards, I'd also be careful. When the bullet slows down a little at longer ranges, it will absolutely smash a deer's shoulder bone and hold up well in the process. However, at close range and high velocity, the bullet will blow up on you.

I killed a buck on the last day last year at 36 yards. He came in straight on and I shot him with his head down, in the spine smack between the shoulders. The bullet blew up like a grenade, although it still stoned the buck dead. One fragment turned nearly 90 degrees and blew hell out of the shoulder blade, ruining a few pounds of meat due to bloodshot and bone frags.

Every year I read up on the ballistics of the new premium-grade factory offerings and decide to stick with what I know, the Sierra boattail. It works well if you use it right.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry, these danged things are replicating like rabbits.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:00 PM

Todd 1700

I shoot them or let me rephrase, i shot them out of a 700 270 sendero and my wife shot them out of a 243, Sierra Gameking BTSP and if you dont hit bone they will walkright threw a deer and will not expand a bit, you could clog up the entrance and exit wound by sticking your finger in the hole, my opinion they are crap, but hey thank the good LORD we all dont like the same thing
Old 07-27-2004, 10:33 AM
etw

Been using them since the 70's in my Rem 7 mag @160 gr. I find them to be accurate and have never had to follow a blood trail more than 50 yds on Colorado mulies. Did hit one at 20 yards once, bullet recovered on the off side under the skin, maybe 10% of its lead left. But hey that mulie went maybe 20 yards. Shoot them in my 6mm here in TX. But reading threads here I think I'll try Nosler 100 gr partitions in my 6mm this year IF they prove accurate at the range. No particular reason for switching, ya'll know how it is

Quick Reply: Who has used Sierra Game King BTSP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.