Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Management deer?

Old 07-06-2004, 09:56 PM

Default Management deer?

I just received my first trail cam photos and am puzzled. Will this buck generate tines on the single beam or is it a management buck? Thanks for the input. If it is a management buck, I would like to offer it to a disabled child who has a gaurdian/guide to help him/her harvest it. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Management deer?

It might still be a little early to make the call.

The buck only looks to be young and probably has some potential with another year.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:16 AM

Thanks Aussie-guy. I appreciate your input.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:37 AM

to early to call
Old 07-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea he only looks like a 2yr old deer, give him till next month if he is still around, but letting a disabled child hunt on your property is great.....God bless you.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:38 PM

The only time you want to take a management deer, is when the buck in question is mature and lacking the size of antlers that other deer his age have. The buck in this picture seems to be young, probably 2 1/2, so culling him out of the herd would probably not be a good move. If he was 5 1/2+ and looked like this, then I would say take him. But as of right now I would let him go for another 2 years atleast. I've seen alot of young bucks that had poor antlers, yet they turned into nice trophy bucks once they hit there prime.

But its your choice, and if you do decide to take him atleast your going to allow a kid to take him, thats a very good thing to do. But even if you dont want to hunt this buck, maybe you could still invite a kid out hunting and let him/her take a doe or two?? Good hunting all, and be safe.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey ohioduckhunter i am a disabled youth hunter who would be interested in hunting that deer... Send me a PM and we'll talk. You are a good man Ohiodh.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:10 AM

That deer looks like 1.5 yrs old to me - This is Ohio Right

That is NO management buck IMO - just potential
Old 07-08-2004, 08:23 AM

Still very early in the growth of this years rack. Keep taking photos and see what you get. Also remeber that a young buck can grow a marginal rack one year due to a number of reasons, like food or stress and then do much better in years to come. Let him grown to 4 years or so then see if his rack is inferior and go from there. JMO
Old 07-08-2004, 09:46 AM

Judging by the neck and shoulders I'd guess the deer at 2 to 2 1/2 years old. I'd let him grow a couple more years if you are managing for trophy animals. If not, letting a kid get a crack at him is an honerable thing to do.

Quick Reply: Management deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.