Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I NEED HELP ASAP IN IDENTIFYING THIS ANIMAL >

I NEED HELP ASAP IN IDENTIFYING THIS ANIMAL

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I NEED HELP ASAP IN IDENTIFYING THIS ANIMAL

Old 06-10-2004, 02:30 AM

Default I NEED HELP ASAP IN IDENTIFYING THIS ANIMAL

Earlier today my dobermans were raising hell outsiode.
I went outside and heard ALOT of running through the bushes.
Tonight I pulled into my driveway to find 6 small dog/cat like creatures in my driveway.
Maybe as big as a fox, but LOOKED like a cat with a very long skinny tail, very bushy fur, and RED and BROWN striped.
They looked like a red and brown zebra.
In almost 20 years of hunting I have NEVER seen these kinds of animal before, they were NOT foxes or coyotes.
IF they were some form of wild cat then they were genetically all screwed up. I live in Charlotte NC on the outskirts in 29 acres of VERY heavily wooded land.
When I pulled in they didnt run, they stood there making like, yelping noises?
I honked the honr they didnt move, I layed on the horn for almost 10 seconds and they WALKED into the bushes.
WTF kind of animal is that???
Old 06-10-2004, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I NEED HELP ASAP IN IDENTIFYING THIS ANIMAL

Sounds as if they may be an "Exotic" brought in as a pet and escaped or were released. Check with the local DNR to see if there are other reports. If you have a box trap, use it to try to catch one of them, if you don't own one, a local Veterinarian or Humane Society is likely to have one you could borrow. The DNR may very well be interested anyway as exotics getting loose have become an increasing problem around the country. Good Luck.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like an interesting creature.

Maybe you could setup a trail camera in your yard.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hoopy, you been hitting that moonshine jug again. don't know what it could be be maybe try and lay off the jug for a few days and maybe they will go away
Old 06-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Inactive

Hoopy

could it be a fisher? There are lots up in eastern ontario!
Old 06-10-2004, 06:58 PM

Sounds like they might be a family of ringtail cats. I dont know if NC has any, but I know Texas has some. A ringtail cat is a wild animal that kind of looks like a ferrit, except with a long bushy tail. I'm not sure what family they are in, maybe the fox family??
Old 06-10-2004, 08:39 PM

I would think a fisher/ringcat type critter would be the answer. Trap one and talk to the DWR.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a Ringtail cat.

Old 06-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

Really should get pictures. Based upon their behavior and your locale I would say that they were more than likely spotted skunks.Unlike regular striped skunks which have white lines running down their back, spotted skunks appear to be striped liked zebras. You did say it was at night so maybe the light made them appear red and brown and also could be they were feeding in mud, garbage etc that gave them that color. Very few wild animals will stick around when people are present. The notable exeptions which are striped, are raccoons which just don't care having lost most of their fear of humans and spotted skunks, which seem to know that nothing wants to mess with them. Ringtail cats or any other exotic just seem to be much more wary and elusive and wouldn't be caught hanging around your driveway and would probably have run away, let alone finding the family there mulling around and then just walking away. Hanging around humans and then waddling off without a care in the world sounds like skunk behavior to me, but who knows. Hope you identify them. Take care.

Old 06-11-2004, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a near sighted bor coon done caught him a puttty cat.........

Quick Reply: I NEED HELP ASAP IN IDENTIFYING THIS ANIMAL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.