HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I NEED HELP ASAP IN IDENTIFYING THIS ANIMAL
Old 06-10-2004, 10:51 PM
nyorange
Fork Horn

Default RE: I NEED HELP ASAP IN IDENTIFYING THIS ANIMAL

Really should get pictures. Based upon their behavior and your locale I would say that they were more than likely spotted skunks.Unlike regular striped skunks which have white lines running down their back, spotted skunks appear to be striped liked zebras. You did say it was at night so maybe the light made them appear red and brown and also could be they were feeding in mud, garbage etc that gave them that color. Very few wild animals will stick around when people are present. The notable exeptions which are striped, are raccoons which just don't care having lost most of their fear of humans and spotted skunks, which seem to know that nothing wants to mess with them. Ringtail cats or any other exotic just seem to be much more wary and elusive and wouldn't be caught hanging around your driveway and would probably have run away, let alone finding the family there mulling around and then just walking away. Hanging around humans and then waddling off without a care in the world sounds like skunk behavior to me, but who knows. Hope you identify them. Take care.