Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Time to plant food plots?

Old 05-31-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Time to plant food plots?

Hi all,
For two years now, I have debated whether or not to plant some food plots on my hunting ground. There are a lot of deer on our ground and there's no doubt in my mind that giving the herd some suplemental protein will improve the racks.
Last year, it was just too wet and we couldn't have planted until early to mid summer and this year, it looks like mid-June would be the soonest that we'll be able to plant anything. I would think that having edible food plots available before the new antlers sprout would be ideal, but my question is this: How late in the year can you effectively plant a food plot to improve that year's antler growth? Is it too late for this year?
Old 06-01-2004, 02:23 PM

Default RE: Time to plant food plots?

JimboHunter1

Don't know what weather / growing conditions are like up there in Central Maryland, but don't wait another minute to get some food plots started on your property. It may or may not be too late to dramatically impact antler growth this year. Just depends on what you can get planted and how quickly. Without a doubt it can help put some pounds on all your deer and will be especially benificial to this years fawns.

The best thing for you to do would be to check with your county extension agent and I'm sure he would be able to advise you on what crops could be planted this time of year. We've had good luck with BuckWheat as a summer crop and have planted it as late as July here in NW Arkansas. Frost will kill the BuckWheat overnight so we generally mix in winter wheat as well. About the time the BuckWheat starts dying out the WinterWheat starts kicking in. We also mix in a variety of clovers, however, it may be too late to plant clovers as they need to be well established before the summer heat & dry spell kicks in. Again, your county extension agent will be happy to answer those types of questions.

The absolutly most important thing you can do in establishing your food plots is make sure you lime and fertalize as recommended. Take soil samples to see what is needed and then follow those recommendations. In my opinion, this is more important than what you plant!

Tip: We always disk up a 5 - 10 ft wide border area around the food plots and keep it disked up all year round (except when the ground freezes) This comes in real handy for checking the deer tracks comming in and out of your plots. Sure helps you to figure out where to set up those bow stands.

Tip: Another thing you'll want to do is use some chicken wire to fence of a small area in each of your food plots so that the deer can't get to it. Doesn't have to be big area at all. Just drive three stakes about 3 ft high in the ground about 2-3 ft apart in a triangle and wrap them in chicken wire. This will allow you to guage how much the deer are actually eating.

Good luck with your plots.....without a doubt you will be glad you put them in!!!!!!!!!!!

firstshot
Old 06-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

put in some soybeans quick, around southern indiana, we usually have until mid-june to get our soybeans in, they will help out your herd and the deer love them!
Old 06-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

If you don't get the beans in, try a fall planting of clover about Sept 1. There are many varities to chose from. I don't think there is much difference if you pick one that's suitable of your area. I would recommend a blend such as Strut & Rut or Alpha Rack.

If you have more questions, there are some experts in the Wildlife Management section of this site.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Hawgman, I thought about putting this thread in the QDM section, I was just afraid that it wouldn't have the kind of traffic that this section has.
Maybe one of the mods could move this thread for me?