Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New stand

Old 05-30-2004, 07:16 AM

Default New stand

Im considering building a stand in a very nice location on the ground I hunt. I dont want a stor bought take down stand because I want more room..id feel safer...so the question is, anyone pics of stands you have built or suggestions, ideas, experiences on what worked for you or things to avoid?
Old 05-30-2004, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New stand

Under things to avoid, using treated lumber manufactured since Jan 1, 2004 you need t use either stainless steel or double hot-dipped galvanized fasteners due to the new process using a salt based treatment system. Regular nails won't last but a few months before they rust out.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

No pics,but to save some time and money I have gotten free wooden shipping skids from business already. At least they have the floor complete already. Also many times you can find over sized skids. the standard skid is around 4x4. I have found much bigger ones already that were used and the place will usually just give them to you. A couple years ago I got some 8 x 12 skids they used to ship heavy machinery. Made a great start for a storage shed
Old 05-30-2004, 05:18 PM

I build tower or penthouse stands in all sizes. i like the steel cause it lasts a long time if you will just keep paint on them.
I make the sides and of course the floor out of wood but make sure to paint them also to make sure they last.

If you weld or know someone who welds you can build them pretty reasonable. it costs me about $120 to finish one from start to finish depend on what materials i use . i have two in my field now ready to be put out or sold. one of them may actually be sold .

I used to use wood stands but they just don't last like the steel does.