Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

EVERYONE PLEASE READ!

Old 03-01-2002, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: EVERYONE PLEASE READ!

bump
Old 03-01-2002, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

So many of you have excellent accounts. A couple mentioned this post making them think, reading the responses caused me to think about the question again.

Why do I hunt?

Hunting comes natural to me. So much so that I've rarely questioned why? As I think about it, I realize the drive to hunt is natural for human kind.

Who among us doesn't "hunt" for something every day? We hunt for: truth, answers, objects, desires, and happiness every day that we are alive. Its not that we are neccessarily even aware of it, its our nature. Its simple really, we are driven to set goals, to learn more, to find and obtain what is elusive to us, and once accomplished, to do better.

Some will ask "how can you relate this to hunting animals?" and it is a very reasonable question, yet the answer is clear....People tend to seek out what they enjoy, they pour their energy into finding, learning, and obtaining knowledge of the things that matter most to them. Once a goal is reached, new goals are set and the process continues. Hunters of wild game are no different. We enjoy the quarry, the environment, the experience, and even the quest itself. To many of us their is simply no place that we'd rather be.

It occurs to me that some might confuse "the hunt" with the killing of an animal. Make no mistake, the goals set by the hunter, usually culminate in the killing of their quarry. Yet, its not the death of the animal that makes us rejoice, it IS the hunt. As hunters, we make no apologies for reaching our goal. Every hunt is an experience that we draw upon for the future.

We share our love of the hunt with our freinds and family, we hope that they may have the same appreciation we do for the woods, and the animals we hunt. We gain an understanding for the natural world, that many people only read about. We become a part of it, rather than merely an observer.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:31 AM

Why I hunt.
I hunt to keep my sanity.In a world like we live in it is wonderful to have time to share with nature and challenge ourselves one on one with the animals on this earth.I have seen so many things nature has to offer that had I not walked in woods,I feel my life would be different.I need that most valuble time just to reflect on what a great life we have.To sum it a up,Theres so much more than just a trophy on wall.As long as I am abble I will search for what mother nature has to offer me,one day at a time for the hunter is truly blessed.Oklahoma hunter with a passion for hunting and the great outdoors!
Old 03-02-2002, 10:40 AM
Spike

Hummm...Why do we hunt?? Well, as I read the posts I realized we do things for different reasons..I like all of you have been hit with this question on many occasions..

My past has put me in the surrondings of executives from corporations and a lot of anti-s...Most times the question is related to a general lack of understanding of the whole premise of hunting. You know what I mean, the folks that ask: "Did you catch anything"?? Oh, how I hate that..

I usually start by asking them what they see hunting as??

Most see it as a barbaric ACT not sport that is associated with drunken, half camo clad individuals with blaze orange hats...Thus, I relate stereo typical ideas to curb this stance...

I ask a sensitive question generally regarding something like: Yes, that is not a good picture of hunting, but would you associate racial issues to the actions of a few who make the news.???

Generally, they say no...Then I head this direction..

We as Americans are weak regarding death or blood or anything that is not anti-septic...Our food comes in packages, pre-cooked, etc... Many people, men and women alike, are unable to cook real food these days..

So, relating this fact, I pose this question:

What is it exactly that you are against regarding hunting?? Most say it is inhumane..To which I ask if they are familiar with slaughtering operations?? Of course most are not.. A brief description of how animals are dispatched, along with the idea that when an animal arrives it knows it's fate as it has senses that we have long since lost..They are able to detect death in the air...So, once they arrive they know their fate as it is inevitable..Chickens or cattle are treated much the same..You can relate this also...

Some say we only eat fish... So, I generally ask if they would put a plastic bag on an animals head to kill it??

"No, of course not, that would be terrible..." Then I add that a fish needs water to obtain oxygen and most are thrown into the hold into ice to die...

Many are caught off guard with this approach...Then I realate the fact that a deer or elk or whatever has a chance..As it can detect me using it's natural senses and go another direction..Unlike the animals in the pens at the slaughter house...

Many become intrigued by facts not my emotions...I now relate the traditional aspects that I grew up on a farm and started hunting as a young boy after school..

When other boys were getting in trouble I was walking in the woods, spending time with nature and my Springer Spaniel...

I learned many years later that what makes me hunt is the fact that in our lives we do many things that are structured and routine..Hunting is not.. Each encounter is different..Over the years I have made many kills, but these days I spend more time waiting during hunting...The kill is relatively unimportant... I will admit I am a trophy hunter these days...Does go in the freezer, and bone on my wall...

My mind wanders while out..I dump the office gossip and general back stabbing.. My brain cleanses and reverts to finding those senses long lost.. The movement of the wind before daylight..That moment of stillness just before the woods come alive..That stillness and the wandering of my mind tend to go hand in hand..As my senses adjust to each change my mind takes me to a time long past that allows me a primal relationship with nature..I think of my family and friends and how good it is to be alive...The added benefit is when all my actions were right and I am presented with the prey..Will I act right, not rush my actions, control my breathing, will the stand make noise.?? That is why I hunt...Thanks for the moment..

Oh, my wife was not a big hunter either, now she has watched me for many years and we now make trips which are mainly for us to spend some time out...

Old 03-02-2002, 01:42 PM

Yeah, my family hunts for the food. And because we know that God made the animals for us to watch, enjoy, and eat. It's just natual to hunt like Cardeer and Mark Whiz said. Why don't anti-hunters hunt?
Old 03-02-2002, 01:42 PM

Yeah, my family hunts for the food. And because we know that God made the animals for us to watch, enjoy, and eat. It's just natual to hunt like Cardeer and Mark Whiz said. Why don't anti-hunters hunt?
Old 03-02-2002, 09:12 PM

Greets,
Well, havent read all the posts yet, but my answer is simple.. kind of..
I really cant put into words the reason, I am drawn to hunting. I enjoy the satisfaction i get from a good hunt. I can name several seasons that felt more like work than fun, but I still go out... its just the "call of the wild" I guess. I will hunt so long as it is legal to do so, because in the end I enjoy it's rewards more than most other activities.

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry
Old 03-03-2002, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt for several reasons.To get away from the everyday Rat Race. To be out with Mother Nature at her finest.To provide meat for the year.Even if nothing is harvested just being in God's country make it worthwhile.God made these animals for food and I love the challenge.Been hunting for many years and will as long as I'm able to.God and Government willing.Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-04-2002, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Explaining why I like to hunt isn't the easiest thing to do. I guess it's because I love the challenge of chasing game. I love being in the outdoors, in untouched land the way God intended it. And I love the comradierie (i know it is spelled wrong) that goes along with being out with the guys hunting. But most of all, I love that moment of truth that happens right when you're pulling the trigger. There is absolutely nothing like it.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:53 PM

Why I hunt.....

Watching the woods come to life on crisp, fall mornings... Seeing a sleepy-eyed squirrel searching for breakfast at first light... My heart thumping in my chest as I hear footsteps falling, getting closer, closer and closer... The amazing echo of a tom turkey, gobbling like thunder... Watching the woods change into the wonderful colors of fall each day I'm in the woods... Disappearing into the foliage around you, so that no man or animal knows that you are there... Watching young fawns frolicing under the watchful eye of their mother...The friendships developed in the woods, and at camp...The awesome feeling of being the first to congratulate a hunting buddy on his first deer, and the memories of someone else doing the same for you...Watching the woods grow silent as dark aproaches...The telling of the days events to your hunting buddies...And yes, the harvest of game, reaping the rewards of minutes, hours, days, weeks, months spent in God's splendor.

That's why I hunt.

Quick Reply: EVERYONE PLEASE READ!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.